Tethys, Partners Acquire Moroccan Permits
Tethys Oil AB has signed a Petroleum Agreement with the Moroccan state oil and mining company, ONHYM, and partners Dana Petroleum and Eastern Petroleum for the Bouanane Exploration Permits. These new permits follow a Reconnaissance License over the same area where the Tafejjart prospect had been identified.
The Reconnaissance License work program confirmed the prospectivity of the area for natural gas, and delineated some prospects through seismic reprocessing and gravimetric studies. The Exploration Permits, Bouanane I and Bouanane II, cover an area of 2,115 square kilometers in eastern Morocco. Dana will be the Operator holding a 50 percent interest in the license, with Tethys and Eastern holding 12.5 percent each. ONHYM has a carried 25 percent interest. The Agreement is valid for a term of 8 years, divided into 3 periods. During the first period either 2D seismic needs to be acquired, or an exploration well needs to be drilled.
The signing of the Petroleum Agreement farm out is the result of a process that started in July 2005, when Tethys as operator was awarded 50 percent in a one year Reconnaissance License over the Bouanane area. Eastern Petroleum was partner with the remaining 50 percent. During 2006, the work program associated with the license was completed by summer with encouraging results, and a farmout agreement signed with Dana in September.
"The Bouanane license offers Tethys 12.5 percent interest in an exploration project with tremendous potential where Dana will pay the first 12 MUSD of exploration costs. The reimbursement of past costs creates the opportunity to use that money over again to create a similar opportunity," said Magnus Nordin, Tethys' Managing Director.
Tethys Oil is a Swedish company focused on exploration for and production of oil and natural gas. Tethys aims to maintain a well-balanced portfolio of high risk/high reward exploration opportunities coupled with lower risk exploration and appraisal development assets. The company has interests in licenses in Oman, Denmark, Morocco, Spain, Turkey and France.
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Tethys Oil AB more info
- Tethys Oil AB Agrees New Boundaries for Block 3 Onshore Oman (Nov 21)
- Tethys Increases Oil Production in Oman (Sep 19)
- Tethys Oil Maintains High Production Rate in 2016 (Aug 03)
Company: ONHYM more info
- Gas Production Restarts at ONHYM Pipeline in Morocco (Sep 16)
- Eni Enters Offshore Morocco Exploration Permits (Mar 30)
- Circle Oil: KSR-A Well Onshore Morocco Flows Gas (Oct 13)
Company: Eastern Petroleum more info
- Tethys to Withdraw from Onshore Bouanane License (Aug 04)
- Dana's Azhar-7x Demonstrates Extension of Azhar Field in Egypt (Aug 04)
- Tethys Becomes Paying Partner for Tafejjart-1 Onshore Morocco (Jun 08)