Maui Partners Prove Up Extra Reserves
The Maui gas field in offshore Taranaki has proved up a further 60.8 petajoules (or 58 billion cubic feet) of gas to firm contracted commitments to downstream gas buyers, the New Zealand Crown Minerals agency reported.
Contact Energy and Vector said in separate statements that the Maui partners had converted 60.8 PJ of right of first refusal (ROFR) of natural gas from P50 (50% probability) to P85 (85% probability) status with Contact receiving 37.5 PJ, while Vector will get 23.3 PJ. The ROFR gas is not part of the original Maui gas contract.
Vector said 15.3 PJ of its entitlement will become available from 2011, and 8 PJ from 2012.
Both companies' secured entitlements last October to a combined 275 PJ of Maui gas until 2014, under a pre-existing right of first refusal process.
Vector chief executive Mark Franklin welcomed the development, saying the confirmation of additional firm contracted reserves further reinforced Maui's ongoing contribution to New Zealand's gas supply mix.
"This is the first notification from Maui Development Ltd (the Maui field operators) of reserves being confirmed and added to our firm contracted entitlements. We look forward to a positive outcome from future reviews as we move through the contract period," Franklin said.
The Maui field is operated by Shell (83.75%), Todd (6.25%) and OMV (10%).
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: OMV more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
Company: Todd Energy more info
- Cue Updates on Drilling at Te Kiri North-1 Well in NZ's Taranaki Basin (Jan 20)
- Te Kiri North-1 Well Onshore NZ Spuds (Dec 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
Company: Maui Development more info
- Maui Partners Granted New Pemit on SW Edge of Maui Gas Field (Oct 19)
- Maui Partners Prove Up Extra Reserves (May 30)
- New Era of Open Access to the Maui Pipeline (Oct 10)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)