Gulf Keystone Abandons GRJ-2 Test
Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited has abandoned the testing of well GRJ-2, which is located on Block 126a in Algeria.
Well GRJ-2 was drilled by Gulf Keystone in late-2005. The well encountered encouraging hydrocarbon shows in Cenomanian / Turonian carbonates--the same reservoir interval that is currently producing in the GKN-1 well. Moreover, both core and image log data acquired over these prospective reservoir intervals indicated both the presence of fractures and hydrocarbons. The well was not tested at the time of drilling due to the lack of availability of suitable test equipment within Algeria.
During recent operations, Gulf Keystone perforated two potential reservoir zones over the two intervals: 2291.5 -2337 m and 2221-2276.5 m measured depth. Over each interval the Company performed an injectivity and step rate test followed by matrix acidization (mini frac). The aim of the test program was to connect the fracture and / or the matrix permeability in the surrounding reservoir and thereby access moveable hydrocarbons.
Although operations were performed successfully, no hydrocarbons flowed into the wellbore under test. The well is therefore presently being plugged and abandoned.
"We are disappointed that we were not able to establish connectivity with moveable hydrocarbons in this well," said Todd Kozel, CEO of Gulf Keystone. "It is unlikely that we will conduct any further operations on the GRJ structure. However, we will, as part of our overall technical appraisal of the northern blocks, review all geological, geophysical and engineering data collected during this operation to establish the likely reasons for the lack of commercial flow from this particular well."
Equities in Block 126a are:
- Gulf Keystone Petroleum LTD., 60% (Operator)
- Sonatrach, 40%
- Algeria's Sonatrach Chief Urges Oil Industry Reforms (Sep 18)
- Algeria's Sonatrach To Boost Output From Rhourde El Baguel Field (Sep 18)
- Total Signs New Deal With Algeria's Sonatrach And Settles Earlier Disputes (Apr 10)
Company: Gulf Keystone more info
- Gulf Keystone Ready to Further Invest in Shaikan, Needs Payment Clarity (Feb 01)
- KRG Delivers Payments to Genel, DNO, Gulf for Tawke, Shaikan Production (Jan 23)
- China's Sinopec Weighs Takeover Of Gulf Keystone (Dec 13)