The seabed of the Trondheim Fjord in Norway will be used as a temporary storage place when the Tyrihans project and contractor Subsea 7 test out a new method for installing subsea templates.
Local residents around the Trondheim Fjord have been witness to an entirely unique operation this weekend. The large Uglen crane vessel will be shuttling between the Port of Trondheim and the Asen Fjord with the Tyrihans project's subsea templates attached to her crane.
When Uglen arrives at the Asen Fjord, she lowers the templates to a water depth of 55 meters. Normally an operation only personnel at sea witness, this is the first time part of an entire subsea development can be studied from shore.
The Tyrihans templates will only lie in the Asen fjord for a few weeks. Subsea 7's Botnica construction support vessel will raise each template one by one through a midships opening, called the moonpool. The templates, which will be suspended under the hull, will be towed to the Tyrihans field in the Halten Bank area of the Norwegian Sea, for final installation.
The lifts in the Asen Fjord make template installation both cheaper and safer, explains Stale Gjersvold, Statoil's Tyrihans project manager.
"We would have to have used the world's largest installation vessel if we decided to install the templates from a barge at the field," he says.
"These vessels are both difficult to get hold of and expensive."
Uglen is both lighter and more easily available, but the vessel can only operate in calmer waters near shore.
Statoil and partners have invested NOK 14.5 billion in Tyrihans, which is being developed with five templates tied back to the Statoil-operated Kristin field. Statoil's share ownership in Tyrihans is 46.8%. The other partners are Total (26.51%), Norsk Hydro (12%), Eni (7.9%) and ExxonMobil (6.75%).
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: Norsk Hydro ASA more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)