Mitsubishi Takes Stake in Deepwater Block 2C Offshore Malaysia
Mitsubishi has reached an agreement with Newfield Sarawak Malaysia Inc. (NFS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Newfield Exploration Company (NFX) to acquire from NFS 20% of the exploration and production rights of Deepwater Block 2C, offshore Sarawak, Malaysia, following the approval from Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS), Malaysia's national oil company, for the acquisition.
The new participating interests in Block 2C are Newfield Sarawak Malaysia as operator with 40%; Petronas Carigali with 40% and Mitsubishi with 20%.
NFX is an independent crude oil and natural gas exploration and production company headquartered in Houston, and its areas of operations include the onshore Gulf Coast, the Gulf of Mexico, the Mid-Continent and the Rocky Mountains. Internationally, Newfield is active in the UK, North Sea, offshore China and Malaysia.
PETRONAS Carigali is a wholly owned subsidiary of PETRONAS with exploration and production activities in Malaysia and in more than 20 other countries around the world.
In Malaysia, Mitsubishi Corporation has interested in the LNG joint ventures in Sarawak,
namely, Malaysia LNG and MLNG Dua and is involved in the upstream gas development
to supply MLNG Tiga. Through the participation in Block 2C, Mitsubishi Corporation
hopes to contribute towards the development of petroleum resources in Malaysia and in
particular to the LNG business.
- Shale Drillers Show Few Signs of Slowing as Profits Expand (Aug 02)
- $2 Billion Gulfport Buy Shows Drillers Thirsting for Next Play (Dec 15)
- Newfield CEO Sees Cautious Approach on Big Oklahoma Oil Find (Oct 17)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)
- Japanese Banks Expand To Ranks of World's Biggest Energy Lenders (Jun 09)