Indonesia Awards 9 Oil, Gas Blocks; Initial Investment $411.1M
JAKARTA Mar 02, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
The Indonesian government Friday awarded a total of nine oil and gas blocks to international and local companies, which will invest a combined $411.1 million during the first three years of exploration.
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources said a consortium comprising Total S.A. (TOT) and Japan's Inpex Corp. won the offshore Sungai Mahakam oil and gas block in Kalimantan, while a joint venture between Premier Oil (PMO.LN) and Mitsui Oil Exploration Co. got a block in the Natuna Sea.
A joint venture between Indonesia's Pertamina (PTM.YY) and Norway's Statoil ASA (STL.OS) obtained the Karama block offshore West Sulawesi, and Talisman Energy Inc. (TLM) won the Sageri block offshore South Sulawesi.
Esso Exploration International, a unit of Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM), was awarded with the Mandar block offshore West Sulawesi.
The other companies being awarded blocks were mostly local, little-known companies.
The nine blocks are part of 20 blocks that Indonesia had offered to investors. It failed to attract interest in all of them.
Director General of Oil and Gas and the ministry Luluk Sumiarso said the government will re-offer the 11 blocks in April.
Sumiarso added that the government hopes to offer around 40 blocks in total this year. The only Southeast Asian member of the Organization Petroleum Exporting Countries has seen its crude oil production dwindle to 30-year lows last year with most of its wells maturing.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Pertamina more info
- ExxonMobil Says Will Drop Discussions Over Indonesia's East Natuna (Jul 18)
- Saudi Aramco Reaffirms Commitment to Pertamina JV as CEOs Meet (Jul 07)
- Indonesia's Pertamina To Delay Some Refinery Projects Over Financing (Jun 06)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
- Australia's $180B LNG Megaproject Boom Enters Final Stretch (Aug 14)
- Inpex Says Floating Unit For Australia LNG Project To Set Sail Soon (Jul 10)
Company: Premier Oil more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- European Oil Producers' Weak Hedging Shows Bet on Price Rebound (Jul 31)
- Mexico Oil Privatization Pays Off With Billion-Barrel Find (Jul 12)
- Premier Oil Expects Weak Pound To Help Bottom Line (Jan 12)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)