Santos Finds Gas at Caldita-2 Offshore Australia

Bonaparte Basin
(Click to Enlarge)
Santos has completed the current phase of the offshore Timor/Bonaparte Basin drilling program, with the rig release from Caldita-2.

The Caldita-2 well is located 6 kilometers west-northwest of the Caldita-1 discovery well which was drilled in 2005. Caldita-2 was drilled to a total depth of 3,973 meters and confirmed the presence of gas in the western part of the Caldita structure. The field gas-water contact was confirmed and valuable core, wireline log and formation pressure data was obtained. A reduced reservoir section of similar quality to that found in the Caldita-1 well was encountered.

The well was not drill-stem tested and has been plugged and abandoned as originally planned.

The forward program for the NT/P61 and NT/P69 exploration permits is to complete the acquisition and processing of 3D seismic data over the Caldita and nearby Barossa structures by the end of the first quarter 2008. The well data will then be integrated into the interpretation and subsequent reservoir modelling, leading to a better understanding of the likely resources and future development options.

Caldita-2 is located in exploration permit NT/P61, 265 kilometers north-northwest of Darwin in water depth of 136 meters.

The participants in NT/P61 are ConocoPhillips Australia Exploration Pty Ltd as operator with 60% and Santos Offshore Pty Ltd Limited with the remaining 40%.

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
United States Sonora: Operator, Plant-Multi-Chem, I
Expertise: Geoscience Technician
Location: Sonora, TX
United States Sonora: Operator, Plant-Multi-Chem, I
Expertise: Geochemist
Location: Sonora, TX
Senior Client / Program Manager
Expertise: Geologist|Reservoir Engineering
Location: Seattle, WA
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $49.98/BBL 1.59%
Light Crude Oil : $49.18/BBL 1.56%
Natural Gas : $2.73/MMBtu 1.44%
Updated in last 24 hours