Atlantia Unveils SCR-friendly Semisub FPU
Atlantia Offshore Limited said that its new SCR-friendly floating production unit (FPU) is the first ultra-deepwater structure designed specifically to produce acceptable stresses in large-diameter steel catenary risers (SCR).
The design effort began with an exhaustive analysis of SCR motions and stresses, defining critical areas that are adversely affected by extreme motions. Atlantia engineers then developed a deep-draft hull design, drawing upon the expertise of SBM Offshore Group sister company GustoMSC-OceanDesign, an experienced designer of marine drilling rigs.
Instead of a conventional design approach driven by payload capacity, Atlantia focused on ways to limit motions that adversely affect SCRs and SCR connections. The result is a deep-draft, four-column, ring-pontoon hull design that will support large facilities while extending SCR fatigue life.
The deep-draft design was verified by thorough global analysis and model-testing performed in late 2003, and detailed engineering of the first 37,000-ton-displacement FPU hull for 8,000-ft-deep water has been completed.
- SBM Offshore, Repsol to Get $247 Million in Yme Insurance Settlement (Jul 17)
- Weak Oil Pushes SBM Offshore To Axe More Jobs (Aug 10)
- FPSO Cidade de Saquarema Commences Ops at Brazil's Offshore Lula Field (Jul 13)
Company: Atlantia Offshore Limited more info
- Atlantia Unveils SCR-friendly Semisub FPU (Feb 08)
- Aker Kvaerner to Install Thunder Hawk FPU (Jan 11)
- Independence Hub Successfully Integrated (Sep 26)