Australia's Top Engineering Award Goes to Bayu-Undan Partners
Fluor Corporation and its partners ConocoPhillips and WorleyParsons have been awarded the top engineering honor by Engineers Australia, besting 40 other finalists.
The Sir William Hudson Award was presented for the $2.5 billion Bayu-Undan Gas Recycle Project, an offshore liquid stripping plant for oil and gas owned by ConocoPhillips.
The Bayu-Undan Gas Recycle Project is one of the most complex liquid stripping projects ever built offshore. The project, located in the Timor Sea, north of Australia, includes a remote wellhead platform that serves as a drilling center for 14 wells and a central production and processing platform connected via a bridge to a compression, utilities and quarters platform.
Innovations in the project include the processing design concept that reduced pipeline costs by $25 million; the world's first multiuse separate propane, butane and condensate floating storage facility and offloading vessels. Construction of the project met stringent environmental, technical and safety standards. The complexity of the project was compounded by its remote location and its sheer size.
The team used state-of-the-art processing technology and comprehensive risk analysis to manage the process complexities. Facilities and other structures were extensively modeled in 3D utilizing advanced PDS model technology.
Bayu-Undan Phase 1 had in excess of US$100M capital expenditure savings. The first gas and condensate was reached on schedule and exceeded production targets by 22 percent in its first year.
The Sir William Hudson Award was presented in fourth quarter 2006 at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia. Engineers Australia is the national forum for the advancement of engineering and the professional development of engineers. With an excess of 80,000 members embracing all disciplines of the engineering team, Engineers Australia is the largest and most diverse professional body for engineers in Australia.
Fluor Corporation provides services on a global basis in the fields of engineering, procurement, construction, operations, maintenance and project management.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
- Most US Gulf Oil Output Offline Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 06)
Company: Fluor Corporation more info
- Fluor to Lead Engineering, Procurement for $2.4B Texas Project (Oct 10)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)
- Fluor to Support FEED for Woodfibre Project Near Vancouver (Feb 17)
Company: WorleyParsons more info
- TCO Awards EPCM Support Services Deal for Tengiz Expansion Project to KPJV (Jul 12)
- WorleyParsons Bags EPCM Contract for BP-Operated Assets in Caspian Region (Apr 14)
- WorleyParsons Lands Deal for Ophir's Fortuna Project in Equatorial Guinea (Apr 13)