Jurong Shipyard to Build Third Semisub for PetroMena
Jurong Shipyard, a wholly-owned subsidiary of SembCorp Marine, has secured a repeat order to build a deepwater semisubmersible drilling rig at US$524 (S$802) million for PetroRig III Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of PetroMena AS of Norway. This is the third newbuild deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig that the owner has placed with Jurong Shipyard.
Construction will commence immediately with delivery scheduled in the first quarter of 2010.
The 6th generation ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rig will be built based on the Friede & Goldman Ex-D design. It will have specifications substantially identical to the two other deepwater semi-submersible drilling units, secured in October 2005 and March 2006, currently under construction in Jurong Shipyard with deliveries in the second quarter and third quarter 2009 respectively.
This ultra-deepwater semisubmersible drilling rig is capable of operating in 3,000 meters water depth and harsh environment drilling conditions. Engineered for stability and versatility with operational displacement of 43,400 metric tons at 17 meters draft and 46,750 metric tons at 20 meters draft, the semi-submersible rig is also suitable for operations in most of the world's known challenging deepwater arena.
Mr. Don Lee, Senior General Manager of Offshore Division said "We are pleased with the confidence that PetroMena has placed with us in ordering the 3rd semi-submersible rig unit. We are delighted to be part of Larsen Oil & Gas' rig building program and their thrust into the offshore oil & gas sector."
Mr. Berge Gerdt Larsen, Chairman and largest shareholder of Larsen Oil & Gas said "We are happy with the professional relationship and the cooperation demonstrated by the shipyard and our group and their ability to bring forward the deliveries of the two semi-submersible rigs. PetroRig I has secured a long-term contract with Petrobras Amercia to drill in the Gulf of Mexico while PetroRig II is contracted to Petroleo Brasileiro S.A. for drilling in offshore Brazil. We remain optimistic of the offshore oil & gas market."
Total contracts secured for 2007 to-date stand at US$714 million (S$1.1 billion).
Barring unforeseen circumstances, SembCorp Marine expects a positive contribution to its earnings from the contract. However, this contract is not expected to have any material impact on the net tangible assets and earnings per share of SembCorp Marine for the year ending December 31, 2007.
- Rig Builder Sembcorp Marine 2Q Net Profit Falls 51% (Jul 27)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Brazilian Government Plans to Open Talks with Keppel, Sembcorp Marine (Sep 05)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)
Company: PetroMena more info
- Jurong Shipyard Exercises Right to Sell Petrorig I (Apr 29)
- PetroMena Denies Default on PetroRigs I & III (Apr 06)
- Seadrill Snaps Up Stake in Petromena's Bond Loan for 2 Deepwater Rigs (Mar 30)