Shell Drills Duster at Onyx Vest
AS Norske Shell, operator of production license 255, is approaching completion of drilling on wildcat well 6406/6-2.
This is the third wildcat well in production license 255, which covers blocks 6406/5, 6 and 9. The production license was awarded in the 16th licencing round in 2000. The target of the well was a sandstone prospect from the Jurassic Age called called "Onyx vest". The prospect was located about 50 km west of the Draugen field and eight km from the 6406/9-1 gas discovery (in a prospect called "Onyx sørvest"). It was proven by Norske Shell in 2005.
Wildcat well 6406/6-2 was drilled to a total depth of 4652 m under the seabed into Early Jurassic rocks. The well was dry, and it will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
The drilling operation was carried out by the semisubmersible West Alpha, which will now continue drilling an appraisal well on the 6406/9-1 gas discovery in the same production license.
The licensees in production license 255 are AS Norske Shell as operator with 30%; Petoro AS with 30%; Statoil with 20% and Total E&P Norge AS with 20%.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)