WellDynamics Bolsters Position in Permanent Monitoring Market
WellDynamics Inc., which provides intelligent completion technology to the upstream oil industry, on Wednesday announced that it has acquired Halliburton's Reservoir Performance Monitoring (RPM) business. The acquisition complements WellDynamics' 2005 acquisition of The Wood Group's Production Technology business as part of its strategy to expand its SmartWell intelligent completion technology business.
"Acquiring the RPM business not only enriches WellDynamics' existing permanent monitoring capabilities, but also enables us to better serve customers in both the premium and cost-effective permanent monitoring markets with a larger support team and a long history of quality product development," said Phil Longorio, president and CEO, WellDynamics. "We are also excited about the new opportunities for innovation that RPM's global market and product focus bring to WellDynamics. Having this expertise in-house will give us a greater ability to focus on innovative technologies, such as fiber optics, that deliver greater value to our permanent monitoring customers."
The RPM business consists of three primary components: fiber optic systems, the EZ-Gauge capillary tubing systems, and electronic systems. The fiber optic systems include the OptoLog DTS fiber optic distributed temperature monitoring method, as well as other fiber optic sensor systems. The EZ-Gauge capillary tubing system is a reliable and long-lasting downhole monitoring system that features no electronics and no moving mechanisms. The electronic systems include the Symphony electronic permanent P/T monitoring systems, as well as a range of other electronic pressure and temperature monitoring systems.
Jim Renfroe, senior vice president of Strategy for Halliburton, said: "We are pleased to complete this next step in aligning technologies where they belong. This move will allow WellDynamics to capitalize on all aspects of intelligent well completions and will allow our Halliburton Completion Tools product service line to increase its focus on other offerings."
WellDynamics, a joint venture company of Halliburton Energy Services and Shell Technology Ventures, is the global leader in providing intelligent completion technology for reservoir monitoring and control to the upstream oil industry. Its downhole flow control systems are today installed in more than 215 wells, and its permanent monitoring systems are in place in more than 800 wells. The RPM business brings to WellDynamics a track record of over 100 additional permanent installations, 110 OptoLog DTS wells, in excess of 2000 EZ-Gauge installations, and several thousand semi-permanent or retrievable DTS surveys.
Based in Houston, Texas, with offices around the world, WellDynamics boasts a customer list that includes more than 50 of the leading upstream companies.
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
- Halliburton CEO Defends Fracking Business as Margins Disappoint (Oct 23)
- Venezuela's IOUs Pile Up, Keeping US Oil Servicers in Tow (Aug 23)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Wood Group more info
- Wood to Design Pioneering LNG Platform (Oct 17)
- Wood Group Wins Total Refinery Maintenance Contract (Oct 11)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
Company: WellDynamics more info
- WellDynamics Unveils Next Gen SmartWell Interval Control Valve (Sep 24)
- Halliburton Enters Agreement to Acquire 100% of WellDynamics (Jun 11)
- StatoilHydro Awards WellDynamics Norge NOK1 Billion Contract (Feb 18)