ONGC Eyes BG, Petrobras, ENI as Partners for India E&P Blocks
NEW DELHI Jan 03, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
Oil and Natural Gas Corp. (500312.BY) is in talks with several multinational petroleum exploration companies for offering possible stakes in its deepwater exploration blocks off India's coast, said a senior ONGC executive.
The companies include Italy's ENI S.p.A (ENI.MI), Britain's BG Group Plc (BG.LN) and Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro SA (PBR), or Petrobras.
"We (ONGC) are looking for partners for our deepwater blocks," the executive said.
Negotiations are at a preliminary stage, with details yet to be finalized on which blocks and how much equity will be offered, said the executive.
Among the blocks that are likely to be offered are one off India's eastern state of Orissa, MN/DWN 2000/1, where a stake may be offered to ENI under an equity swap arrangement.
A spokesperson for ENI said the company would not comment on speculation.
ENI and ONGC have a cooperation agreement under which the two companies can swap equity in upstream and midstream deepwater exploration activities in India and other countries.
Last year, ENI was awarded two exploration blocks in India.
ONGC, India's largest oil and gas producer, needs partners who can bring in technology and expertise in deepwater exploration.
Petrobras has the expertise required to explore and extract gas from ultra deepwater blocks.
In 2005, ONGC and BG Exploration and Production India Ltd., a unit of BG, entered into a joint venture to develop three deepwater blocks off India's eastern coast.
ONGC last made a major oil discovery at its Mumbai High Offshore field several decades back and has lately been struggling to maintain its crude oil output due to aging oil fields.
A major oil discovery would also help India, which relies heavily on imported crude to meet nearly three-quarters of its requirements.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 38 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)