Oil Search Spuds Juha 5
Oil Search reports that the Juha 5 well in PRL 2, Papua New Guinea, commenced drilling on 23 December. As at 0600 on 28 December, the well was at a depth of 243.5 meters and preparing to drill ahead in a 14 3/4" hole. During the week the 18 ½" hole was drilled to 243.5 meters and 16" casing set.
Juha 5 is located 40 kilometers northwest of the Hides gas field in Pa. Three wells were drilled on the Juha structure in the early 1980s, and proved the presence of a condensate-rich gas accumulation. No gaswater-contact was located in these wells and the Juha 5 well will drill deeper on the structure with the aim of constraining the vertical gas column height.
The well is targeting the Toro reservoir at a depth of around 3,000 meters. The planned total depth of the well is 3,700 meters. The well will be followed in early 2007 by a second well which will drill a large, untested segment adjacent to the proven segment. The objective of the two wells is to increase considerably both the proven and probable reserves.
The participants in Juha 5 are:
- Oil Search Limited (operator), 31.5%
- ExxonMobil, 56.0%
- Merlin Petroleum, 12.5%
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Oil Search Ltd. more info
- Papua New Guinea Government To Sell Stake In Oil Search (Sep 21)
- Oil Search Profit Soars, Focus On Advancing PNG Gas Projects (Aug 22)
- Oil Search Q3 Revenue Beats Forecasts (Oct 18)
Company: Merlin Petroleum more info
- Oil Search Strikes Pay in Hedinia Well (Sep 16)
- Merlin Petroleum Snags Stake in AGL's PNG LNG Assets for $800M (Dec 18)
- Oil Search Spuds Juha 5 (Dec 28)