Total Turns on the Taps at Dalia
Sonangol and Total have started production from Angola's deepwater Dalia field in Block 17. Discovered in September 1997 and located some 135 kilometers off the coast in water depths ranging from 1,200 to 1,500 meters. Dalia is estimated to contain close to 1 billion barrels of recoverable oil. It is the largest deepwater development to be brought onstream this year and among the largest projects of its kind in the world.
The Dalia field is comprised of 71 wells, 31 for water injection, 3 for gas injection and 37 producers tied into 9 manifolds. The subsea installation consists of 40 kilometers of insulated production flowlines linked to eight hi-tech flexible risers specially manufactured for the project and taking the fluid up to a Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel, which has an oil treatment capacity of 240,000 barrels of oil per day and a storage capacity of 2 million barrels.
"We are extremely pleased with the development of Dalia which has been completed on time, illustrating the abilities of our teams to successfully tackle even the most challenging projects and environments, said Christophe de Margerie, President Exploration and Production of Total. "Moreover, Dalia has contributed to the strengthening of Angolan specialized oil industry, to the creation of employment and to the transfer of technology through the establishment of modern factories in Luanda, Lobito and Dande for the manufacturing of sophisticated industrial equipment used in the project."
Sonangol is the Block 17 concessionaire. Total E&P Angola, operator, has a 40% interest in Block 17, alongside partners Esso Exploration Angola (Block 17) Limited (20%), BP Exploration (Angola) Ltd. (16.67%), Statoil Angola Block 17 AS (13.33%) and Norsk Hydro Dezassete a.s. (10%).
Deepwater Block 17 is Total's major asset in Angola. It is composed of four major zones: Girassol and Dalia, both into production, Pazflor which is in the final bidding process before sanction, and CLOV, a fourth major production area, based on Cravo, Lirio, Orquidea and Violeta discoveries, currently being studied.
On the Girassol structure, production from the Girassol field and the Jasmim field, a satellite to Girassol that came on stream in November 2003, is currently at more than 250,000 barrels per day of oil. The development of the Rosa field, developed as a 15 kilometer tie back to the Girassol FPSO (Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading) facility, was launched in July 2004. The field is scheduled to come on stream in the second quarter of 2007 and is expected to maintain the FPSO's production plateau at 250,000 barrels per day.
Dalia, one of the largest operated projects of Total, will contribute very significantly to the growth profile of the Group in 2007 and over the period 2006-2010.
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Norsk Hydro ASA more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
- Wood Group Wins Total Refinery Maintenance Contract (Oct 11)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)