Plectrum, Gold Win Nod for Offshore Peru Contract
Plectrum Petroleum said that it has received approval from Peru's government-owned oil company Perupetro SA (Perupetro) for an Exploration and Exploitation Contract covering Block Z-34, Offshore Peru, in conjunction with its joint venture partner Gold Oil Plc.
The two companies have been in exclusive negotiations with PeruPetro to convert Gold Oil's previous Promotional License into a full Exploration and Exploitation Contract, with Plectrum taking a 50 percent interest. PeruPetro approved the 30 year contract on 5 December 2006. Final formal approval from Peru's Minister of Energy and Mines is expected to follow in the New Year.
Plectrum announced that it had agreed to form a joint venture with Gold Oil in respect of Block Z-34 on 8 June.
Mike Whyatt, Plectrum's Executive Chairman, said:
"We are delighted to have received approval from Perupetro. Final approval from the Minister of Energy and Mines in the New Year will allow us to embark on our initial work program of acquiring a modern 2D seismic grid and electro-magnetic studies.
Block Z-34 is adjacent to existing shallow water production concessions in the
Talara Basin, however exploration in the block to date has been minimal. Block
Z-34 fits our strategy of seeking out underexplored offshore exploration
opportunities that can be significantly de-risked before drilling by the
application of innovative technologies such as electro-magnetic imaging."
- Gold Oil In Talks for Partner Offshore Peru (May 08)
- Gold Oil Granted License Extension in Peru (Jan 30)
- Gold Oil Extends Survey, Seeks Farm-In Candidates Offshore Peru (Jul 11)
Company: Perupetro more info
- Peru Says Will Cut Royalties In Current Oil Contracts By July (Feb 03)
- Peru To Cut Oil, Gas Royalties To 5% To Counter Price Slump (Nov 11)
- Government: Peru's Biggest Oil Block Fails to Receive Any Bids (Aug 05)
Company: Plectrum Petroleum more info
- Cairn: Increasing Asset Portfolio through Acquisitions (Sep 07)
- Plectrum Petroleum to Convert Nabeul Permit Into an Exploration Permit (Jul 24)
- Plectrum Begins 2D Shoot Offshore Tunisia (May 30)