Dana Discovers Oil Offshore Mauritania
Dana Petroleum has completed its deepwater drilling operations at the Aigrette-1 exploration well, in Block 7 offshore Mauritania.
Aigrette-1 has discovered oil in the targeted Cretaceous sandstones, approximately 43 kilometers northwest of Dana's Pelican-1 gas discovery.
The Aigrette-1 well was drilled to a total depth of 5,152 meters in a water depth of approximately 1,358 meters. A comprehensive program of wireline logging, pressure measurement, fluid sampling and sidewall coring was undertaken to maximise the information from the well.
Downhole pressure measurements and fluid samples confirmed a 20 meter oil column was present in good quality Cretaceous age reservoir sands. The discovery of an oil bearing reservoir horizon led to the decision to deepen the well beyond its original planned depth of around 4,900 meters. Although significant further sands were encountered in this deepened section, these were not found to be oil bearing at this location.
The Production Sharing Contract ("PSC") across Block 7 covers a very large offshore area of approximately 10,090 square kilometers. Thus the Block 7 licensed area is equivalent to over 50 typical UKCS blocks. Aigrette-1 is only the second well to be drilled in Block 7, following the Pelican gas discovery made in late 2003 by Dana's first well in this PSC.
Tom Cross, Dana's Chief Executive, commented:
"Following the significant gas discovery at Pelican, Dana is pleased to report that its second well in Block 7 has discovered oil. Our technical team will now begin a comprehensive analysis of all the data from the Aigrette-1 well, including rock and fluid samples, and integrate this with information from across the block.
The extensive acreage of Block 7, coupled with the discovery of both oil and gas within the first two wells and the presence in Aigrette of deeper sands than those found in Pelican, all provides considerable encouragement for future drilling in this under-explored region of northern Mauritania."
The participating interests in Block 7 are Dana Petroleum as operator with 36%; Gaz de France with 27.85% and Hardman Resources with 16.20%; Woodside Energy with 15% and Roc Oil with 4.95%.
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)
Company: Roc Oil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Santos Names Roc Oil CEO Anthony Neilson as CFO to Replace Andrew Seaton (Sep 19)
- SapuraKencana Clinches $72M of Work in Malaysia, India & Cote d'Ivoire (Dec 08)
- Faroe Completes Roc Oil Acquisition (Nov 06)
Company: Gaz de France more info
- Grenland Group Delivers Gjoa Subsea Structures (Sep 01)
- Plexus to Supply Wellhead Systems for Mediterranean E&P Activities (Jul 20)
- ELNG Completes First Ever Health & Safety Partnership Program with GE O&G (Jul 15)
Company: Dana Petroleum more info
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Hardman Resources more info
- Stratic Names Thomas CFO, Director (Jun 11)
- Govt Offers Blocks 2(ab), Guayaguayare to Hardman, Centrica (May 03)
- Tullow Reports Record Results for 2006 (Mar 21)