Austral Pacific Reports Promising Cheal News
Austral Pacific Energy Ltd. announced that the Cheal B3 well reached a total depth of 1,927 meters (6,322 feet) on 27 November.
The target Mt Messenger sands were intersected over a gross interval from 1,726 meters (5,663 feet) to 1,772 meters (5,814 feet). Wireline logs indicate a net pay of 10 meters (33 feet) and that these sands are oil bearing.
Sands from the secondary target Urenui Formation were intersected over a gross interval from 1,365 meters (4,478 feet) to 1,396 meters (4,580 feet). Wireline logs indicate a net pay of 8 meters (26 feet) and that these sands are also oil bearing.
The Cheal B3 well is the third of four wells to be drilled back to back from the Cheal B site as part of the Cheal Oil Field development. Austral Pacific Energy Ltd. holds a 36.5 percent interest in the field (rising to 69.5 percent following the completion of the acquisition of Arrowhead Energy Limited) and is the operator. TAG Oil holds the remaining 30.5% interest in the permit.
Commenting on the announcement Chief Executive Officer Rick Webber said, "This is another very encouraging result for the Cheal Joint Venture. Continued success with drilling from the Cheal B site increases our confidence in the resource potential of the northern extension of the Cheal Oil Field."
Following the running of production casing in the Cheal B3 well, Ensign Energy Services' Rig 19 will be skidded to an adjacent, pre-installed conductor for the immediate drilling of the Cheal B4 well.
In other news Mr. Webber reported that construction of the processing facilities at the Cheal A site is making good progress. "The site foundations are now largely complete and installation of the oil storage tanks is underway," said Mr Webber. "Fabrication of the separator vessels is well advanced at a Lower Hutt engineering firm."
- TAG Oil Gets Approval to Take 70% Operating Stake in NZ's PEP51153 (Jun 06)
- NZ-Focused TAG Oil Cuts Capex for Rest of FY16 Due to Low Oil Prices (Oct 15)
- TAG Prepares for NZ's Cheal East Field Development with New Pipeline Link (May 27)
Company: Austral Pacific Energy Ltd. more info
- Austral Pacific Files 2008 Annual Results (Mar 26)
- Austral Pacific Revises NZ Reserves Estimates (Feb 16)
- Malvern, Onaero 2D Seismic Surveys Completed (Dec 01)
Company: Ensign more info
- Ensign Rig Heads to PetroFrontier's MacIntyre Well (May 31)
- Rowan Parts with Land Drilling Division (Jul 20)
- Ensign Posts Lower Earnings for 2009 (Mar 15)
Company: Arrowhead Energy Ltd. more info
- Musings: Changing Landscape of Global E&P Industry (Mar 31)
- Arrowhead Reports 3Q Results (Oct 30)
- Austral Pacific Reports Promising Cheal News (Nov 30)