Gas E&P Auction Delayed Until After Elections
Venezuela's government has delayed the auction for four offshore natural gas E&P licenses in the country's east until after the December 3 presidential election, a top government official told BNamericas.
The auction originally was due November 28.
"Right now the priority lies in politics, but as soon as we have our hands free of that we will announce the timeframe," Jorge Luis Sanchez, president of natural gas regulator Enagas said.
The auctioning process, dubbed Delta Caribe, entails awarding three blocks near La Blanquilla island and a fourth between the Orinoco river delta and Trinidad & Tobago.
The government invited 34 companies to participate in the auction, of which 13 paid for rights to take part.
The 13 are: Anglo-Dutch Shell (NYSE: RDS-B); Brazil's Petrobras (NYSE: PBR); Japan's Teikoku and Mitsubishi; France's Total (NYSE: TOT); US major Chevron (NYSE: CVX); Russia's Lukoil; Hocol; Italy's ENI (NYSE: E); India's ONGC; Spain's Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP); Norway's Statoil (NYSE: STA); and Vinccler, the Venezuelan unit of Canada's PetroFalcon (TSX: PFC).
Polls put President Hugo Chavez ahead of Zulia state governor Manuel Rosales for Sunday's vote.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Exxon's Big Bet on Brazil Oil Could Signal Major Pre-salt Role (Sep 29)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela Confirms Discussing Citgo Collateral Swap With Rosneft (Oct 04)
- Venezuelans Face Growing Queues To Buy Gasoline (Sep 21)
- Venezuela's Crude Supply To The United States Was Flat In August (Sep 13)