Northern Reports Dutch Duster
Northern Petroleum Plc said that the Steenwijk-1 exploration well onshore Netherlands, drilled in partnership with the joint Shell and ExxonMobil subsidiary Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij B.V., ('NAM'), has not encountered significant hydrocarbons in the Rotliegendes sandstone, the primary objective.
The well was deepened into the Carboniferous but did not encounter hydrocarbon-bearing intervals from the objective depth to a total depth, which was determined by operational constraints. Therefore, the decision has been made to plug and abandon the well.
Northern reported that the well was drilled in 20 days, operationally considerably ahead of schedule and at an expected cost significantly under that budgeted.
Steenwijk-1 was the first of four exploration wells to be drilled in partnership with NAM, a partnership that also includes the development into production of five oil and gas discoveries. Under the terms of its agreements with NAM, Northern is entitled to recover the dry hole cost of the Steenwijk-1 well out of the pre-tax revenues from future discoveries before sharing the profits with NAM on an equal basis.
Derek Musgrove, Managing Director of Northern, stated:
"The drilling of the Steenwijk wildcat exploration well was always viewed as
part of the 'consideration' for the wider deal with NAM to acquire five onshore
Netherlands oil and gas fields. We will now move on from this result to drill
the first of these five fields scheduled for development to production for
which our plans are at an advanced state and a rig contract is due for
signature shortly. There are no implications resulting from Steenwijk-1 which
impact on the field developments save the potential benefits of cost saving
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Northern Petroleum more info
- Northern Petroleum Agrees Cascina Alberto Farm-Out with Shell (Mar 05)
- Northern Petroleum's Latest Alberta Well Proves Uneconomic (Feb 10)
- Northern Drills First Wells in Current Program in Alberta (Sep 17)
Company: Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM) more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- NAM and GDF SUEZ Begin Talks for Dutch Assets (Sep 15)
- NAM to Divest Several Offshore Assets (Oct 17)
- Northern Gets Consent to Transfer Licenses (Jul 30)