Northern Petroleum to Spud Steenwijk Exploration Well
Northern Petroleum says that the first exploration well in The Netherlands in partnership with the joint Shell and ExxonMobil subsidiary Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij B.V., ('NAM') will spud this month. The rig is currently being moved to the Steenwijk site.
The Steenwijk exploration well is located in an area designated the Steenwijk part-area in the north-western part of the Schoonebeeck concession operated and held 100% by NAM. Northern will earn a 50% commercial interest in the part-area by the drilling of the Steenwijk-1 well.
The farmin well is targeting a Rotliegendes structure. An additional prospect Steenwijk SW could be in communication in the event of a discovery.
On reaching an agreed depth near the top of the Carboniferous the well will have evaluated the primary Rotliegendes objective in the Permian and have fulfilled the farmin obligation to NAM.
Northern recognizes and has mapped a deeper Carboniferous objective. In the event of a discovery the well will be suspended for testing with this deeper target being evaluated by future drilling, however, should this not occur Northern's intention will be that the well be deepened approximately a further 200 meters to evaluate a series of Carboniferous sandstones within an independent Carboniferous closure.
Derek Musgrove, Managing Director of Northern commented, 'We are pleased to
commence our field operations in The Netherlands with the drilling of a good
size gas target recognized both by ourselves and NAM. Our interest in deepening
the well demonstrates our belief that this part of the Southern Gas Basin still
needs to be explored below the Permian sediments and such activities will now
benefit from modern capabilities of interpreting 3-D seismic.'
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Northern Petroleum more info
- Northern Petroleum Agrees Cascina Alberto Farm-Out with Shell (Mar 05)
- Northern Petroleum's Latest Alberta Well Proves Uneconomic (Feb 10)
- Northern Drills First Wells in Current Program in Alberta (Sep 17)
Company: Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM) more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- NAM and GDF SUEZ Begin Talks for Dutch Assets (Sep 15)
- NAM to Divest Several Offshore Assets (Oct 17)
- Northern Gets Consent to Transfer Licenses (Jul 30)