Statoil Says Brugdan Not Commercial
Drilling by Statoil as operator of well 6104/21-1 in license 006 off the Faroe Islands has been completed. No commercially viable oil or gas volumes were proven.
The well was drilled by the Stena Don rig to a total depth of 4,201 meters in roughly 480 meters of water. Only traces of gas were found in the structure.
"We are obviously disappointed that the drilling did not reveal commercial volumes of hydrocarbons, " says Rúni M Hansen, vice president for Statoil Faeroyene.
"A positive aspect is that the well has given us useful knowledge about drilling in volcanic sub-basalt rock. That will be helpful in future exploration off the Faroes.
Originally, the plan was to drill down to 3,780 meters but Statoil applied for permission to drill deeper. Due to technical problems, the well had to be abandoned early.
The well has now been permanently plugged and abandoned. Cores from the well will be thoroughly examined to gather information for future exploration.
According to Bjarni Djurholm, trade and industry minister for the Faroes, the well is an important source of knowledge about the geology below the sub-basalt rocks on the Faroese continental shelf.
"Preparations for the third Faroese licensing round are under way," says Mr. Djurholm.
"I expect it to be announced in the autumn of 2007 as scheduled."
The partners in license 006 are Statoil with 27.15%, Dong (21.91%), Anadarko (13%), Enterprise Oil (Shell) (12.47%), Amerada Hess (11.09%), BG group (10.31%), Faroe Petroleum (4.04%) and Atlantic Petroleum (0.03%).
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess: World Needs New Offshore Oil Investments to Avoid Shortages (Sep 28)
- Hess Slashes 2017 Capital Budget After Quarterly Loss (Jul 26)
- Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with ﻿Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Atlantic Petroleum more info
- Atlantic Petroleum Production Drops (Jan 06)
- Atlantic Petroleum Continues to Increase Production (Sep 02)
- Atlantic Petroleum more than Doubles Production in July 2015 (Aug 04)