Enarsa, Petrobras, Repsol YPF Ink Offshore Exploration Deal
Argentina's state oil company Enarsa, Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) and Spanish oil major Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP) met on Tuesday to sign an agreement for US$50mn worth of hydrocarbons exploration offshore Argentina, the Argentine government said in a statement.
The consortium will explore two "high-risk" offshore blocks. The first is 250km off the coast of Mar del Plata city while the other is 200km offshore southern Río Negro and northern Chubut provinces in the E-1 area.
Exploration works include aerogravimetry and magnetometry studies, the acquisition of 2,000m of 2D seismic and 500km of 3D seismic data and the drilling of an exploratory well if results are positive.
Enarsa and Petrobras will each hold 35% stakes in the consortium with the latter acting as the operator, while Repsol YPF will have 30%.
The companies will have five years to carry out the exploration works.
Some 85% of Petrobras' global reserves are offshore, which executives highlighted as key to the success of the project, which could require drilling as deep as 1,500m, according to government news service Telam.
This offshore exploration agreement is the fourth the companies have signed.
Executives from the companies also took the opportunity to announce plans to begin 3D seismic acquisition on the C-1 and CS-2 areas in October.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ENARSA more info
- Argentina Suspends Auction for Offshore Blocks (Aug 09)
- Argentina Could Know Its Oil, Gas Output Potential by 2011 (Dec 02)
- ENARSA, Sipetrol Argentina YPF & Enap Begin Drilling in the Argentine Sea (Sep 23)