ABB Wins $210 Million Energy Contract in Algeria
ABB has won a contract worth more than $210 million from the Algerian oil and gas company Sonatrach to expand existing compressor and power systems. The project was awarded to ABB and a joint venture company operated by ABB's Italian subsidiary and Sonatrach.
The improvements in the Hassi R'Mel fields will support an expected increase in natural gas exports to Europe of some 30 billion cubic meters per year within the next five years.
"This project highlights how our advanced technology solutions are helping to raise productivity in the world's energy industries," said Veli-Matti Reinikkala, head of ABB's Process Automation division. "Building upon our successful working partnership, we look forward to helping Sonatrach further develop its oil and gas transport capabilities."
Under the project, three existing compressor stations serving the Hassi R'Mel natural gas fields will be expanded. ABB's scope of supply includes engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning of the new stations, including new turbo compressors, upgrades to existing compressors, and gas coolers. ABB will also provide new low-voltage and medium-voltage power distribution systems and enhancements to existing automation systems. The work will be completed over a period of 32 months.
ABB has several ongoing projects with Sonatrach, including a major oil-treatment plant in the Bir Berkine basin and a $150 million contract for TFT gas compressor stations awarded in late 2004.
- Algeria's Sonatrach Chief Urges Oil Industry Reforms (Sep 18)
- Algeria's Sonatrach To Boost Output From Rhourde El Baguel Field (Sep 18)
- Total Signs New Deal With Algeria's Sonatrach And Settles Earlier Disputes (Apr 10)
Company: ABB more info
- Oil Industry Teams Up to Fight Cyber-Crime (Sep 29)
- Aker Solutions, ABB Team Up To Develop Subsea Production (Apr 27)
- ABB Wins NOK 1.1B Statoil Power Contract (Mar 16)