Helix Energy Solutions Inks Deal for Typhoon Oil Field
Energy Resource Technology, a wholly owned subsidiary of Helix Energy Solutions has acquired a 100% working interest in the Typhoon oil field (Green Canyon Blocks 236/237), the Boris oil field (Green Canyon Block 282) and the Little Burn oil field (Green Canyon Block 238) from Chevron U.S.A. Inc., BHP Billiton and Noble Energy, Inc. Prior to the acquisition, the owners of Typhoon were Chevron (50%) and BHP Billiton (50%); the owners of Boris were BHP Billiton (50%), Chevron (25%) and Noble Energy (25%); and the owners of Little Burn were BHP (60%) and Noble Energy (40%). Financial terms of the transaction are confidential. The agreement is subject to MMS approval of a new development plan, which is expected in the next 60 days.
Production from the Typhoon and Boris fields has been shut-in since the Typhoon platform was damaged by Hurricane Rita in September of 2005. Prior to the storm, the combined flow rate from two Typhoon wells and the two Boris wells averaged approximately 13,000 barrels of oil per day and 21 million cubic feet gas per day in the last month of production. A new well, the Typhoon #4, was drilled and flow tested at a rate of 7,700 barrels of oil per day last September. Additionally, the Little Burn development well was drilled by BHP Billiton in 2005 and oil and gas pay was logged. Flow rates from this well are expected to be similar to the Typhoon #4 well. ERT plans to complete this well and tie back both Little Burn and Typhoon #4 to the new production facility once in place. ERT will also have farm-in rights on five near-by blocks where three, moderate to low risk prospects have been identified in the Typhoon mini basin. Following the acquisition of the Typhoon field and MMS approval, the company will rename the field Phoenix.
Owen Kratz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Helix stated, "The acquisition of the Typhoon, Boris and Little Burn fields fits our business model extremely well. The four wells that were flowing have a good production history and the field is well understood. There is immediate upside in the Typhoon GC 237 #4 well and the Little Burn GC 238 #1 ST-3 well, and we expect to bring production from these fields on line mid-2008. We plan to re-develop all of the fields using a re-usable, mobile floating production unit. There is further upside in the form of several exploration prospects that exhibit the same geophysical attributes as those seen in the proven productive areas in the existing field. All of these prospects, if successful, are well within tie-back distance to the floating production unit and some can be drilled with the Company's Q4000 semi-submersible drilling unit. It is also planned that the installation of the new subsea infrastructure will be carried out by multiple vessels from our deepwater fleet".
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Petrofac Extends North Sea Contract with Chevron (Oct 05)
Company: Noble Energy more info
- Fault at Israel's Tamar Gas Field Prompts Use of Dirtier Fuels (Sep 22)
- Leviathan Partners in Talks to Pipe Gas to Egypt Via Jordan (Aug 10)
- Deal Of The Month: Noble Energy Marches Out of Marcellus in Full $1.9B Exit (May 31)
Company: Energy Resource Technology more info
- US Regulators Study Drilling in Shallow Water Following Blowout in July (Aug 06)
- BSEE Confirms ERT Stopped Leak in Natural Gas Well Off Louisiana Coast (Jul 15)
- ERT Stops Flow on Leaking Natural Gas Well Off Louisiana Coast (Jul 12)
Company: Helix Energy Solutions more info
- Helix Inks Petrobras Deal Offshore Brazil (Feb 11)
- Jurong Shipyard Bags $346M Deal to Build Well Intervention Rig for Helix (Sep 12)
- Helix to Build Additional Newbuild Semisub (Jul 31)