R&M Salamis Opens Training Center in Scotland
Industrial maintenance services provider R&M Salamis has invested in a new Training and Innovation Center at the Bridge of Don, Aberdeen.
Located in a 500-square-meter former industrial warehouse unit at Denmore Road, the facility will become the focus of all Salamis' training for its specialist service departments, including Rope Access, Inspection, and Environmental Services. Because it will house the company’s new SQA-approved industry leading competency system, it will also allow Salamis staff to extend their existing skills and ensure that they remain up-to-date with all the requisite proficiency checks.
Ian Nickerson, Salamis Chief Executive, said: "With an outlay in excess of £250,000, this represents a significant long-term investment in developing our people and capabilities."
"There is an industry-wide shortage of rope access technicians. Hopefully, the development of our training and innovation center will help redress this problem."
The creation of the new training base means that Salamis can offer training for SpanDeck, Fall Arrest Netting, Breathing Apparatus, Belzona, and specialist coatings, as well as eight separate modules for Working at Height training, Rope Access levels 1, 2, and 3, and computer-based inductions.
The center also ensures that Salamis will be well-placed to test and develop new products and techniques and provide fully multi-skilled resources for existing and potential clients. Nickerson added, "An additional aim is to offer a dedicated facility to demonstrate and showcase our range of innovations and technical solutions to clients."
As well as the practical training areas, the unit features two floors of office space, classrooms, locker rooms, and a canteen, making the facility fully self-sufficient.
Blasting, painting, fireproofing, and water-jetting training will continue at the current site at Greenhole Place.
Salamis anticipates that up to 50 people will use the center each week, and the resources will not only be limited to the company’s own staff. "Over half of the training provision will be for client personnel--we already conduct training for many of our oil major clients, including Shell, BP, Total, Apache, and Talisman, and we envisage that this service will continue to grow steadily as we establish ourselves as the leader in employee instruction and advancement," commented Nickerson.
Salamis is a leading international services contractor that provides integrated, multi-disciplinary support services and maintenance solutions to international Blue Chip clients, principally in the energy, petrochemical, industrial, and utilities sectors. Salamis Group employs over 2,000 staff. The Salamis Group of companies comprises wholly owned businesses and joint venture companies in the UK, USA, Trinidad, and Canada.
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
- Trade Group Oil & Gas UK Makes 4 Board Appointments (Oct 04)
Company: BP plc more info
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Increasing the World's Oil Reserves with Digitization (Oct 09)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
Operates 8 Offshore Rigs
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total CEO: US Shale Oil Industry To See Wave Of Investment (Oct 18)
- Total's CEO Says Will Try To Move Ahead With Iran Gas Project (Oct 17)
- Total Expands Presence in Mexico (Oct 12)
Company: Salamis more info
- Bilfinger Salamis Wins Chevron North Sea Contract (May 10)
- ATR Group Seals Major UKCS North Sea Deal with BIS Salamis (Sep 14)
- R&M Salamis Opens Training Center in Scotland (Aug 08)