Vetco Gray: Next World Record Holder for Setting Casing String?
BG Group E&P Brasil Ltda set a 2-1/2 mile string of 9-5/8" casing at 15,811 feet (4,819m) MDBRT (Measured Depth Below Rotary Table), 15,801 ft (4,816m) TVDBRT (True Vertical Depth Below Rotary Table), on well 1-BG-1-SPS in Santos Basin Block BM-S-13, offshore Brazil, utilizing Vetco Gray's world proven MS-700 Subsea Wellhead System. This is believed to be a record string length in Brazil waters.
The 9-5/8" casing string, hanger and MS-1 metal-to-metal seal were run with Vetco Gray's single trip High Capacity "Pressure Assisted Drillpipe Running Tool" and landed on V150 /NC-50 5" drillpipe using the semisubmersible Pride South Atlantic in 130m water depth. The 9-5/8" string incorporated a mixed P-110/Q-125 grade, 53.50 lbs/ft casing. Landing weight was 695kips (buoyed). The casing and MS-1 seal assembly were successfully tested to 7500psi.
BG's ongoing drilling operations also required a sidetrack phase which involved cutting and recovering a major portion of this initial, long 9-5/8" casing string, along with the Vetco hanger and MS-1 seal.
The 12-1/4" sidetrack section then required installation of a second 9-5/8" casing string, with the new 9-5/8" hanger and MS-E seal successfully landed, set and tested in the original sealing area in the 18-3/4" High Pressure Wellhead.
Vetco Gray Brazil was awarded this contract by BG E&P Brazil Ltda, a subsidiary of BG Group in mid-2005, to provide wellhead and tubular systems including rental tools and offshore services.
Vetco Gray has been providing sophisticated subsea wellheads and subsea tree systems from its Brazil operations for more than 30 years, with over 1,000 subsea wellheads and 180 subsea trees produced and installed there.
Vetco Gray would like to thank BG and all parties involved in this "First Class" operation.
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Pride International more info
- Randy Stilley Comes on Board of Paragon Offshore (Feb 04)
- Ensco Completes Pride Acquisition (May 31)
- Pride, Ensco Enter MOU in Merger Lawsuit (May 20)
Company: VetcoGray more info
- Hayward Tyler on Track to Deliver Motor to VetcoGray in Norway (Feb 10)
- GE Oil & Gas Boosts Lobito Tomboco Output (Feb 02)
- Shell Places First Order for VetcoGray Subsea Tree (Feb 01)