Perupetro to Sign Contract with Barrett Resources
Peru's hydrocarbons promotions agency Perupetro will sign a contract with US oil company Barrett Resources for the exploration of block 121 in Loreto department, a Perupetro spokesperson told BNamericas, confirming local press reports.
Barrett will invest some US$45mn in the seven-year exploration phase of the block, including 2D seismic studies and the drilling of exploratory wells.
Although some exploration has been conducted in the block in the past, no wells have been drilled and not much information is available regarding the block's potential, the spokesperson said.
However, the block is located in the Maranon basin alongside block 39, where Spanish oil major Repsol-YPF (NYSE: REP) discovered heavy crude reserves, as well as block 67, where Barrett has also found heavy crude.
The ministry spokesperson said that it is "probable" block 121 also contains heavy crude reserves.
Perupetro and Barrett are attempting to establish a date to sign the contract and the ceremony should take place within a maximum of three week.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
- Peru Says Will Cut Royalties In Current Oil Contracts By July (Feb 03)
- Peru To Cut Oil, Gas Royalties To 5% To Counter Price Slump (Nov 11)
- Government: Peru's Biggest Oil Block Fails to Receive Any Bids (Aug 05)
Company: Bill Barrett Corporation more info
- Bill Barrett To Sell Gas Assets, Buy Oil Properties (Sep 16)
- Bill Barrett Earmarks $475-$525M for 2013 Capex (Jan 04)
- Bill Barrett Adds Member to BOD (Dec 01)