Austral Pacific Completes New Zealand Seismic Survey

PEP38258 - Canterbury Basin
(Click to Enlarge)
Austral Pacific Energy (NZ) Ltd has recently completed a 2D seismic survey in offshore Canterbury Basin, acreage PEP 38258, south of Christchurch.

The 481km Whaler marine 2D survey finished on April 21. This is designed to infill the existing seismic coverage over the Whaler, Caravel and Coracle prospects.

Following interpretation of the data, it is anticipated that Whaler prospect will be matured to drillable status, Austral Pacific said.

Austral Pacific is operator and holds a 75% interest in the 10,950 sq km permit with TAG Oil (NZ) Ltd holding the remaining 25% interest.

In addition, Austral Pacific is undertaking a 3D seismic survey in Taranaki. The Brecon 3D survey covers an area containing the Cheal oil and Cardiff gas fields in PEP 38738-01/02.

Acquisition of seismic data has commenced and is anticipated to take about five weeks. Following processing of the field data, results from the survey will be available in late July.

The interpreted results of the survey will be used to optimize bottom hole locations for the Cheal development wells, and to further define and delineate drilling targets in the permit areas at both the Mt. Messenger (Cheal) and Kapuni (Cardiff) levels.

Related Companies
For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Senior Client / Program Manager
Expertise: Geologist|Reservoir Engineering
Location: Seattle, WA
United States Broussard: AFO Monitoring Specialist, Sr
Expertise: Geoscientist
Location: Broussard, ME
Mid to Senior-Level Environmental Geologist
Expertise: Environmental Engineer|Geologist
Location: Wichita, KS
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.79/BBL 1.30%
Light Crude Oil : $49.96/BBL 1.10%
Natural Gas : $2.77/MMBtu 2.12%
Updated in last 24 hours