Repsol Logs Pay in Reggane Basin in Algeria
Repsol YPF has successfully drilled and tested another gas discovery in Reggane Nord in the Algerian desert. The KL-2 exploration well is in a new isolated structure called Kahlouche, and follows upon the recently announced successful drilling of two other wells in the Reggane Basin.
The KL-2 well tested at a depth of 3,983 meters in the Lower Devonian (Siegenian) geological level with a preliminary production rate of 763,000 m3/day, a choke of 32/64" and a well-head pressure of 4,081 psi. The same well also tested positive at a depth of 2,360 meters in the Carboniferous (Tournasian) level with a preliminary gas flow of 483,000 m3/day, a choke of 32/64" and a well-head pressure of 2,649 psi.
This discovery confirms and reinforces the potential of this block not only because of the preliminary production levels that were obtained, but also because this is the first time that gas has been found at the Carboniferous level in this basin. This also represents the possibility of sooner declaring the gas resources in the Reggane Nord area as being commercial.
This latest discovery is in addition to last month's news that the Repsol YPF led consortium in association with Sonatrach had successfully drilled two new wells in the Reggane Basin: the RG-5 (dilineation) well yielding a preliminary production rate of 636,000 m3/day and the SLI-1 (exploration) a preliminary production rate of 100,000 m3/day.
Reggane Nord comprises the blocks 351c-352c in the Reggane Basin, situated in Algeria's Sahara Desert. The area of these blocks is about 8,566 km2. The Joint Venture of these blocks is formed by a consortium led by Repsol YPF (33,75%, Operator), RWE Dea (22,50%), Edison (18,75%) and the national Algerian company Sonatrach (25%).
Repsol YPF and its foreign partners were awarded these contracts in the III Bidding Round for Exploration Blocks called for the Energy and Mines Ministry and Sonatrach in 2002.
The consortium led by Repsol YPF in association with Sonatrach is implementing an ambitious exploration and delineation plan in Algeria in 2006 and 2007, and which includes the drilling of at least eight more wells. An additional seismic program of 650 km of 2D is already in progress.
- Algeria's Sonatrach Chief Urges Oil Industry Reforms (Sep 18)
- Algeria's Sonatrach To Boost Output From Rhourde El Baguel Field (Sep 18)
- Total Signs New Deal With Algeria's Sonatrach And Settles Earlier Disputes (Apr 10)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Edison more info
- Louisiana LNG Project Gains European Customer (Sep 27)
- Sources: Total-Led Consortium Bids for Greek Offshore Gas Drilling Block (Feb 05)
- Edison Looks to Sell Part of Egypt's Abu Qir Field (Jan 14)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
- Japan's JX, GDF Suez Find New Oil in UK North Sea (Mar 13)