ONGC and Halliburton Collaborate on Technology
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. has entered into an agreement with Halliburton for collaboration in specific E&P areas.
The 'Heads of Agreement' (HOA) document was signed at Mumbai on May 9, 2006 by Mr. Subir Raha, C&MD, ONGC and Mr. Andy Lane, COO, Halliburton, as an extension of the MoU concluded earlier between the two majors on January 18, 2005.
The areas of cooperation identified in the agreement are:
- Recovery improvement and production optimization of three ONGC fields in Assam viz. Lakwa, Lakhmani and Geleki, with the provision of increase in the number of fields.
- Geological and Geophysical (G&G) interpretation work flows with ONGC's Data Interpretation Centre GEOPIC at Dehradun.
- Leveraging of drilling, drilling fluid system, cementing techniques and other related technologies with ONGC's Institute of Drilling Technology
ONGC has embarked on a major revamp of its facilities in Assam, at a total investment of over Rs. 2500 Crore rupees. This agreement with Halliburton would facilitate deployment of latest E&P techniques in the aging fields in Assam.
Mr. Andy Lane, COO, Halliburton mentioned that this was indeed a great step forward for them to bring in their expertise and share a common goal with ONGC. He remarked that though Halliburton, at present is not as big as it wants to be in India, but they are having expansion plans in India. Setting up of a R&D facility in Pune is on the cards apart from recruiting engineers from India to meet the business challenges in India.
Congratulating the Halliburton Team for their proactive approach and willingness to work in a logistically difficult terrain like Assam, ONGC's C&MD Mr. Raha said that their collaboration in GEOPIC would bring in fair and challenging competition among the geo-scientists of both the organizations. "It is indeed a wise and right decision for Halliburton to expand its operations in India at a time when the East Coast is expanding much faster and in a complex manner having both shallow and deep waters", said Mr. Raha.
- Venezuela's IOUs Pile Up, Keeping US Oil Servicers in Tow (Aug 23)
- Gadfly: Halliburton And Microsoft Do Not Compute For OPEC (Aug 22)
- Oilfield Rush to High-Tech Helps Smaller Companies Thrive (Jul 27)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 36 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
- Biggest Indian Explorer Is Said to Plan First Ever Borrowings (Aug 10)