Santos Acquires Woodside Stake in Gippsland Gas Field
Santos has acquired Woodside's 30% interest in the offshore permit VIC/RL2, located in the Gippsland Basin, eastern Victoria.
The acquisition increases Santos' interest in the unitized Kipper gas field project from 14% to 35% and is subject to customary Government approvals.
This follows the offer of a production licence for the Kipper gas field by the Victorian government. Also, in June 2005 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the VIC/RL2 joint venture and the Gippsland Basin joint venture to enable the Kipper gas and liquids to be processed at the nearby Longford facility.
First gas production from the Kipper field is expected to commence in 2009 subject to corporate funding and approvals.
The Kipper field is located in 100 metres of water, approximately 45 kilometres offshore from the Gippsland coast. The operator has confirmed gross resources of approximately 620 billion cubic feet of recoverable gas and 30 million barrels of condensate and LPG.
Santos' Managing Director, Mr. John Ellice-Flint today described the increased Kipper interests as a logical addition to the Company's existing Gippsland Basin assets and delivers Santos a material position in this important project.
"This is a good acquisition for Santos as the Kipper field is considered to be one of the premier undeveloped gas resources in the Bass Strait. It is also close to existing infrastructure which can be readily accessed," he said.
The interests in the unitized Kipper gas field project after the sale is finalized will be Santos Group with 35%; BHP Billiton with 32.5% and Esso Australia Resources with 32.5%.
Operates 2 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Santos Ltd. more info
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
- Australia's Santos To Focus On Long-Life Gas In Growth Push (Dec 08)
Company: Woodside more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)