Woodside-led JV to Drill Second Well Offshore Kenya
The Woodside-led joint venture has elected to enter the 1st Additional Exploration Phase in PSC L-7, which includes a one well commitment to be drilled before June 2008, Global Petroleum Limited reports.
As a result of both the Dana and Woodside farm-in, Global will be fully carried through the first exploration wells in each of L5 and L7 and retains 20% equity. Other equity levels are Woodside Energy (Kenya) Pty Ltd 50% (Operator) and Dana 30%.
Welcoming the decision, Global Chairman Dr John Armstrong, said: "This is an excellent outcome for Global. The extended commitment from Woodside, a successful major oil and gas exploration and development company, supports Global's confidence in this under-explored province."
The Joint Venture is scheduled to drill the first of the two wells in Block L–5 beginning October 2006, with the timing dependent on met-ocean conditions and the arrival of the rig in Kenya. The board of the Japanese Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) owner of the deepwater drilling vessel has now approved the rig contract with Woodside.
Dr. Armstrong said Woodside and the Joint Venture's further commitment in L7 support's Global's view regarding the prospectivity of the region:
- Woodside regards Kenya as an under-explored frontier area with significant potential, identifying it as "the most prospective part of east Africa, with several large geological structures hosting multiple targets similar to those found on Australia's North West Shelf" (Woodside website)
- Kenya has "multiple large structural prospects" (Woodside presentation November 2005)
- Woodside has identified some 50 prospects and leads, a number of which are capable of holding several hundred million to a billion barrels of recoverable oil.
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)
Company: Dana Petroleum more info
- Dana Petroleum Raises Concerns Over EnQuest North Sea Discovery (Jul 05)
- SDX Energy Quits Cameroon Concession In 'Sensible' Move (Jun 16)
- Denmark Issues 16 Oil, Gas Licenses (Apr 06)
Company: Global Petroleum Limited more info
- Global Petroleum Appoints New Director (Jun 10)
- Global Petroleum Looking to Acquire New Projects, Remains 'Selective' (Jan 29)
- Global Petroleum Director Resigns from Board (Jan 22)