Turkey Approves Construction of the Samsun-Ceyhan Pipeline
Turkey's Council of Ministers has approved the license for the construction of the Samsun-Ceyhan oil pipeline, which will be jointly built by Calik Enerji and Eni. The approval process will continue with the ratification of the President of the Turkish Republic, Mr. Ahmet Necdet Sezer. Calik and Eni have been studying the project since 2003, and in 2005 both companies elected to combine their efforts, resources and expertise to fulfil this important and strategic venture. The pipeline will enable:
- transportation of Russian and Kazakh oil from the Black Sea to the commercial hub of Ceyhan on the Mediterranean Sea in a safe and inexpensive way
- safer navigation in the Bosphorus and Dardanelles Straits, thus contributing to the environmental protection of the waterway's complex and sensitive ecosystem
Eni and Calik have already carried out a Feasibility Study on the project as well as site surveys on the Samsun area and along the pipeline route, all the way to the main terminal of Ceyhan. As a result Ceyhan will become an important hub for oil commercialization in international markets. Eni and Calik intend to continue their co-operation until the completion of the project. The partnership will also be open to third parties interested in the project, such as oil operators and traders.
"The project - declared Mr. Paolo Scaroni, CEO of Eni - will guarantee the transportation to key markets of the oil produced in Russia and Kazakhistan, where Eni operates the giant Kashagan field and is co-operator of the Karachaganak field".
Mr. Erdal Celik, Calik Enerji's Chief Executive Officer, expressed "satisfaction with Eni's participation in the implementation of this strategic project which will provide remarkable economic and environmental benefits for Turkey. Eni and Calik possess the necessary resources, skills and experience to successfully complete this world-class project".
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Eni Inks Cooperation Deal With China's CNPC (Sep 13)
- Italy's Eni Confident Of Dividend Even With Lower Oil Prices (Jul 28)
Company: Calik Enerji A.S. more info
- Calik Commences Drilling Ops at Turkey Well (Jan 16)
- Eni, Calik Sign Deal with IOCL for Possible Partnership (Nov 02)
- Eni Acquires 50% of Trans Anadolu Pipeline Company (Sep 15)