HORIZON PROJECT STATUS SUMMARY March 31, 2006 June 30, 2006 ----------------- -------------- Actual Plan Plan ------ ----- ----- Phase 1 - Work progress (cumulative) 26% 22% 31% Phase 1 - Construction capital spending (cumulative) 27% 29% 39%
Accomplished During the First Quarter of 2006
- Completed 60% of detailed engineering model reviews in all areas.
- Completed hazard and operability reviews for all plants, a major hurdle to ensure scope changes are not required.
- Awarded in excess of C$200 million of contracts and purchase orders in the quarter bringing awards-to-date to over C$4 billion, with a further C$600 million in various stages of the tender process.
- Awarded key mechanical contracts for Bitumen Production.
- Completed "Contractor Open House" sessions across Canada to attract new contractors and skilled trades people to the oil sands industry. Over 300 contractors participated in these sessions.
- Completed transport of the naphtha reactor to site from the rail staging area south of Fort McMurray.
- Site assembly of gas oil and distillate reactors on track for completion in the fourth quarter.
- Issued purchase orders for long lead equipment (cokers and reactors) for Phase 2 and 3 Upgrading.
- Delivered 164 oversized loads to site, out of approximately 1,500 total loads to be delivered during the construction period.
- Site safety performance remains ahead of benchmarked targets.
- Delivered four coke drums to site as planned and erected on schedule.
- Started setting of piperack modules on foundations.
- Commissioned operation of permanent water and waste water treatment plants.
- Main administration building, security building, plant maintenance shop and fire hall were completed and occupied.
- Mine overburden removal has moved 10.8 million bcm (bank cubic meters) compared to a plan of 10.4 million bcm with commissioning of a new 40m3 hydraulic shovel planned for the second quarter.
- Completed 98% of site preparation and undergrounds.
Milestones for the Second Quarter of 2006
- Overall detailed engineering to surpass 80% completion.
- Occupancy of the second of three camps.
- New 40m3 shovel expected to be in operation for mine overburden removal.
- Occupation of Mine Overburden Administration and Maintenance Facility to take place.
- Ore Preparation Plant site turnover by Mining to Bitumen Production.
Canadian Natural is a senior oil and natural gas production company, with continuing operations in its core areas located in Western Canada, the U.K. portion of the North Sea and Offshore West Africa.
Most Popular Articles