Ramirez: No Compensation for Total, Eni
Venezuela will not pay France's Total (NYSE: TOT) or Italy's Eni (NYSE: E) compensation for damages after state oil firm PDVSA took over two fields previously operated by the companies, Caracas daily El Universal quoted energy and oil minister and PDVSA president Rafael Ramirez as saying.
Venezuela "will recognize the investments made" by the two companies in the fields, Ramirez said, according to wire services, from Doha, Qatar, where he is attending an energy conference. However, he said they would not be compensated for damages.
Total and Eni were the only two companies that declined to enter into joint ventures controlled by PDVSA to operate their respective Jusepin and Dacion oilfields, which they had been operating for more than a decade.
Although most companies opted to sign the JVs giving PDVSA control, some chose to sell their stakes to third parties rather than be forced into such arrangements.
Total's Jusepin field was forcibly occupied by PDVSA eastern division workers on April 1 and Total workers were prevented from entering the field. On April 3, Ramirez also said Total's refusal to enter into a JV for Jusepin could jeopardize new business ventures for the French company in Venezuela.
After the occupation, Total and the ministry exchanged letters and started negotiations, but these overtures were apparently fruitless. Both Total and Eni officials in Caracas declined comment.
Visit BNamericas to
access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company
database, and latest research reports. Click
here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Union Leader: PDVSA's Amuay Refinery Halts Distillation Unit (Nov 30)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Venezuelan Oil Output Heads to 29-Year Low as Cash Crunch Grows (Nov 10)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)