Verenex Contracts Two Rigs for Its Libyan Operations
Verenex Energy said that it has executed contracts for two drilling rigs for its operations in Area 47 in Libya.
The contract awards were approved by the Area 47 Management Committee, which includes representatives from Verenex, partner Medco International Ventures, and the Libyan National Oil Corp.
The first rig, contracted with Oil Drilling & Exploration (Borneo) Pty Limited, a subsidiary of Calgary-based Ensign Energy Services, is expected to be available to spud Verenex's first well late in the third quarter of 2006. The second rig, contracted with KCA Deutag, is expected to be delivered in the first quarter of 2007. The rigs are capable of drilling to the maximum expected target depth of 12,000 feet.
Both contracts include an initial two-year term, with two one-year extension options exercisable by Verenex. Under the contract terms, the company retains the ability to assign the rigs to third parties, with the approval of the contractor, if circumstances warrant. The maximum early termination exposure under the two contracts in aggregate is C$7.2 million (US$6.3 million).
Verenex said that the two rigs would give it the capacity to drill more than 30 wells over the next four years.
Given the current rig timing outlook, Verenex is reviewing its Libya work program and budget for 2006.
"The drilling services contracts signed this week are with established
operators in Libya, both of whom have extensive in-country infrastructure and
strong operational capability," stated Jim McFarland, president and CEO of
Verenex. "The company is now well-positioned to move forward on a timely basis
to test the potential of Area 47 with the drill bit."
- Norway Strike Threat Increases as Parties Fail to Find Agreement (Jun 08)
- Statoil Extends Drilling Services Contracts, Kicks Off JS Platform Work (Mar 31)
- KCA Confirms Plans to Hire 300 Workers in Norway (Mar 30)
Company: PT Medco Energi more info
- Lundin Petroleum Sells Indonesian Upstream Assets to Medco for $22M (Oct 09)
- Indonesia's Medco Gets Additional 25 Years to Operate Oman Oil Fields (Apr 29)
- Medco Energi Discovers Oil, Gas in Indonesia and Libya (Sep 29)
Company: Libyan National Oil Corporation (NOC) more info
- Engineer: Libya's Sharara Oilfield Still Shut Due To Action By Armed Brigad (Oct 03)
- Libya Oil Output Drops to 5-Month Low on Biggest Field Halt (Oct 02)
- Source: Libya's Sharara Oil Field Reopens After Pipeline Blockade (Sep 05)
Company: Verenex Energy more info
- Marathon Struggles to Exit Libya as Unrest Grows (Oct 25)
- Verenex Completes Arrangement with Libyan Investment Authority (Dec 21)
- Verenex Updates on Acquisition Status (Dec 15)
Company: Ensign more info
- Ensign Rig Heads to PetroFrontier's MacIntyre Well (May 31)
- Rowan Parts with Land Drilling Division (Jul 20)
- Ensign Posts Lower Earnings for 2009 (Mar 15)