Cerro Negro Back in Production After Maintenance
Venezuela's Cerro Negro extra-heavy crude upgrading joint venture announced on Friday it has completed planned maintenance work at its production and upgrading facilities.
"In both the field and upgrading unit, production resumed on April 1," an official with Cerro Negro, one of four projects that produce synthetic crude from Orinoco oil belt extra-heavy crude, told BNamericas.
The maintenance work took about three weeks. According to state oil firm PDVSA, the other three extra-heavy crude upgrading projects - Ameriven, Sincor and Petrozuata - were producing about 480,000 barrels a day (b/d) of syncrude.
On Monday, PDVSA subsidiary CVP president Eulogio Del Pin said Cerro Negro would have production of 120,000b/d of syncrude after the completion of maintenance work, an estimate the company official couldn't confirm.
Currently Cerro Negro produces extra-heavy crude and pipes it to the upgrading unit at the Jose petrochemicals and refinery complex in Anzoateguí state, where it produces some 108,000b/d of syncrude, which is then shipped to Chalmette, the Louisiana-based built-to-spec refinery where it is processed.
Chalmette is owned by 50:50 by Venezuela's state oil firm PDVSA and US oil major ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM).
Cerro Negro is a JV between ExxonMobil and PDVSA, each with a 41.67% stake, and the UK's BP (NYSE: BP) with the rest.
Visit BNamericas to
access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company
database, and latest research reports. Click
here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- ExxonMobil to Evaluate Offshore Mauritania Blocks (Dec 04)
- ExxonMobil To Merge Refining And Marketing Divisions (Dec 01)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Union Leader: PDVSA's Amuay Refinery Halts Distillation Unit (Nov 30)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Venezuelan Oil Output Heads to 29-Year Low as Cash Crunch Grows (Nov 10)