GGS-Spectrum Extends 'Big Wave' Survey West of Florida
GGS-Spectrum announced that it is extending its "Big Wave" Multi Client Survey in the Gulf of Mexico west of Florida.
The company will acquire an additional 12,000 kilometers of non-exclusive seismic data as Phase 3 to the project, which began in the third quarter of 2005. Phase 3 will focus on the southern part of the Lloyd Ridge area.
When completed, te Big Wave project will comprise the following data volumes:
- Phase 1 (10,000 kilometers)
- Phase 2 (7,500) kilometers
- Phase 3 (12,000 kilometers)
GGS-Spectrum said that the decision to add Phase 3 is based on recent information regarding the likely location of upcoming lease sales in the Gulf. The abyssal plain in this area was, until recently, considered to be a featureless plain, devoid of significant geological structures and underlain by oceanic crust. The newly acquired Big Wave data has revealed an interesting, complex structural province, with numerous, sizeable exploration possibilities, states the company.
Only a few seismic lines had been acquired in the area prior to the Big Wave survey. This older vintage data was acquired with a short cable (3-4 kilometers) and consequently did not resolve the deeper geological province buried beneath a Tertiary clastic sequence of more than 4 seconds.
GGS-Spectrum and Rock Solid Images are undertaking a comprehensive Multi Client study of the data, based on pre-stack depth migrated data tied to and calibrated with all the deepest wells drilled in the adjoining areas to the north and east.
The processed data from Phase 1 and Phase 3,
will be available in June and October, respectively. Phase 2 data will be available in 2007. The collection of Phase 3 is planned to
start this month using the seismic vessel CGG Venturer with a 10-kilometer-long cable.
- Total Exercises 400-Day Option Period for Tender Rig Barracuda (May 20)
- Petronas Finalizes Deal to Use Alligator Tender Rig Offshore Malaysia (Sep 10)
- Global Geo Services to Spin-Off of Spectrum Seismic Business (May 23)
Company: Rock Solid Images more info
- Rock Solid Images Scores Major West African Seismic Gig (Dec 01)
- Rock Solid Images Tapped for Seismic Project Offshore Guyana (Sep 29)
- Vanco Selects Rock Solid Images for Seismic Study in Cote d'Ivoire (Sep 09)