SeaDrill Exercises Fourth Keppel FELS Option for a Jackup
SeaDrill Limited has declared its option to build a fourth jackup with Keppel FELS in Singapore. The rig will be of the KFELS B Class design, capable of operating in water depths of up to 400 feet and drilling depth of 30,000 feet.
The contract price for the unit is US $132 million and is composed of a basis price of USD $117 million, plus additional upgrades on the specification of USD $15 million in order to make the unit a sister rig of SeaDrill 1 (Hull B-277), presently under construction by the same yard. The delivery of the rig is expected to take place in the second quarter 2008.
This order was secured via an option given to Odfjell Partners Ltd when it ordered its first rig in March 2004. Odfjell placed an order for its second rig in March 2005. In mid 2005, SeaDrill acquired Odfjell Invest Ltd. and was given the right to exercise Odfjell's option with Keppel FELS.
Chairman John Fredriksen said in a comment: "We are delighted to have signed another newbuild contract with Keppel FELS. A competitive price, a good delivery position and a very capable yard, makes this into a solid financial deal. The ordering of the unit further strengthens SeaDrill / Smedvig ASA's position as a serious and committed owner and operator of modern high end drilling equipment.''
Mr. Choo Chiau Beng, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of Keppel Offshore & Marine Limited, said, "We are glad to participate in SeaDrill's vision of building a fleet of premium drilling rigs. We are committed to deliver on time and on budget the four KFELS B class jackup rigs which have a proven track record of highly successful operation in different parts of the world.''
Manages 20 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)
Company: Keppel FELS more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Floatel Triumph, Upcoming Work at Wheatstone Field (Sep 30)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Keppel FELS Delivers Jackup UMW Naga 8 to Malaysia's UMW Oil & Gas (Sep 02)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
- Seadrill Files for Bankruptcy in Bid to Shrink Debt Burden (Sep 13)
- Seadrill Warns Again Of Chapter 11 As Extends $14B Debt Talks (Jul 26)