Seniat Could Hike Taxes on Orinoco Projects to 50%


Map of Venezuela - Orinoco Belt
(Click to Enlarge)
Venezuela's tax authority Seniat could increase the tax rate for Orinoco oil projects producing some 600,000 barrels a day of synthetic crude to 50% from the current 34%, according to an article in Tuesday's edition of Caracas daily El Universal.

The article adds that natural gas E&P projects could also see their tax rates increased to 34% from the current 20%. The increases, if Seniat decides to implement them, will be included in an upcoming reform of the tax law. However, any changes to that law would require approval by the national assembly.

There is already a proposal being studied to increase the royalty rate on the Orinoco heavy crude projects to 30% from 16.7%, which would bring the projects squarely into the "80:20" formula, meaning 80% of profits for the host country and the remaining 20% for the company.

In early 2005, the royalty rate for the four existing Orinoco projects was increased to the current 16.7% from 1%. The rate was set at 1% in the mid-1990s to attract fresh investment in the then new field of extra-heavy crude upgrading.

State oil firm PDVSA has a sizable stake in each of the four projects: Ameriven, where it partners with US oil majors ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP) and Chevron (NYSE: CVX); Cerro Negro, where it partners with ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM) and the UK's BP; Sincor where it partners with France's Total (NYSE: TOT) and Norway's Statoil: and Petrozuata, again with ConocoPhillips.

In the 1940s during the brief revolutionary government of writer Romulo Gallegos, Venezuela became the first oil country to institute the 50:50 ratio for profit sharing between the state and private companies, which stood for almost half a century as a watermark in the economic relations between oil companies and host countries.

Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.

Related Companies
 Company: Exxon Mobil Corporationmore info


 - Exxon Fined for Russia Sanctions Violations Under Tillerson (Jul 20)
 - Big Oil Sees Salvation in Gas, But What If It's a Wrong Bet? (Jul 18)
 - ExxonMobil Says Will Drop Discussions Over Indonesia's East Natuna (Jul 18)
 Company: Statoilmore info


 - Greenpeace Activists Protest Near Oil Rig In Norway's Arctic Sea Area (Jul 21)
 - Canada's LNG Failure Is Its Own Fault, Seven Gen Founder Says (Jul 17)
 - Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
 Company: ConocoPhillipsmore info


 - ConocoPhillips to Sell Barnett Assets for $305 Million (Jun 29)
 - ConocoPhillips To Lay Off 300 In Canada After Cenovus Deal (May 4)
 - ConocoPhillips Posts Surprise Loss On Higher-Than-Expected Costs (May 2)
 Company: Chevron Corporationmore info
 - Mexico Delays Next Oil Auction to Let Huge New Find Sink In (Jul 17)
 - White House Is Said to Be Unlikely to Restrict Venezuelan Crude (Jul 7)
 - Oil Producers' Cost-Cutting Swept Away by New Price Decline (Jun 30)
 Company: PDVSAmore info


 - Court Orders PDVSA to Allow Sale of Oil at Sovcomflot's Request (Jul 18)
 - Venezuela's PDVSA Guarantees Investor Security Amid Uncertainty (Jul 10)
 - White House Is Said to Be Unlikely to Restrict Venezuelan Crude (Jul 7)
 Company: Petrozuatamore info
 - PDVSA Underscores Pricing of Tender Offer for Petrozuata Project Bonds (Sep 12)
 - Ramirez: Cerro Negro, Sincor Resisting Nationalization (Jan 17)
 - Orinoco Projects Ordered to Cut Shipments (Jan 17)
Events  SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Privacy Pledge
SUBSCRIBE


Most Popular Articles


From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Survey Project Manager
Expertise: Landman|Project Management|Surveying
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
 
Foreman Fleet Operations
Expertise: Logistics Management|Operations Management
Location: Midland, TX
 
Environmental Inspector
Expertise: Environmental Engineer|Regulatory Compliance
Location: Williamsport, PA
 
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $50.2/BBL 3.29%
Light Crude Oil : $47.89/BBL 3.34%
Natural Gas : $2.94/MMBtu 1.37%
Updated in last 24 hours