PRODML: A Shared Solution for Upstream Oil & Gas Cos to Optimize Production
A group of energy companies have launched an initiative to help producers independently optimize their oil and gas production.
The PRODuction xML, or PRODML(TM), Work Group is seeking the development of commercial software products within a twelve-month work effort that will improve data exchange and work process efficiency in production optimization.
PRODML will build on the earlier success of WITSML(TM), a similar XML-based standard for drilling information. WITSML(TM) (Wellsite Information Transfer Standard Markup Language) is now an open industry standard maintained by POSC (Petrotechnical Open Standards Consortium). PRODML will extend the results of the ongoing WITSML(TM) standards development efforts to include data needed for field production optimization.
Production optimization involves integrating real time data from specialty, multi-vendor software applications and streamlining work processes to enable oil and gas field operational efficiencies. PRODML will develop the necessary XML-based data exchange solutions as an open industry standard. After a working PRODML pilot is launched, POSC will maintain the standard and make it publicly available.
Up till now, oil companies and service providers have wasted a lot of time and effort converting common data for in-house custom-built systems. PRODML will allow the transfer of production data more easily, saving huge amounts of money across the industry, and allowing us to concentrate on the real business of making our wells and production facilities work better and more efficiently.
Since the initial meeting in August 2005 PRODML, the Work Group has specified the fundamental data requirements to enable generic production optimization work flows. This work has highlighted the data elements that are the PRODML focus for delivering an XML-based open standard for the E&P industry.
The data exchange requirements are based on these generic production optimization work flows:
* Gas Lift Optimization * Optimizing Free Flowing wells based on real-time measurements and network models * Field Wide Optimization based on real-time measurements, network models and reservoir simulation
An aggressive development schedule includes pilot tests for these three initial flows by early summer. The PRODML open standard should be available to software developers and Oil and Gas producers by late 2006.
The PRODML Work Group includes: BP, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell,
Statoil, Halliburton, Invensys, OSIsoft, Petroleum Experts, Schlumberger,
Sense Intellifield, TietoEnator, Weatherford and POSC.
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- BP Chairman Svanberg to Retire; Search Starts for Successor (Oct 19)
- BP Midstream Partners Seeks To Raise Up To $893MM In IPO (Oct 16)
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Says Julia, Hadrian South Operations Back To Normal After Nate (Oct 10)
- Iraq's Talks with Exxon on Southern Oilfields in Final Stages-Minister (Oct 09)
- U.S. Gulf Oil Producers Start Evacuating Staff Ahead of Tropical Storm Nate (Oct 05)
Company: Halliburton Company more info
- Venezuela's IOUs Pile Up, Keeping US Oil Servicers in Tow (Aug 23)
- Gadfly: Halliburton And Microsoft Do Not Compute For OPEC (Aug 22)
- Oilfield Rush to High-Tech Helps Smaller Companies Thrive (Jul 27)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: Weatherford International more info
- Weatherford Names Former Halliburton CFO Its New Chief (Mar 07)
- Document: Algeria's Sonatrach Awards $180M in Oil Service Contracts (May 08)
- Aker Posts Lower Profits, Cuts Workforce Salary (Feb 12)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Approves New Tech Investment To Raise Output At North Sea Field (Oct 20)
- Canada's Keyera Signs Pact With Chevron To Transport, Store NGL (Oct 10)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
Company: Schlumberger more info
- Top Oilfield Services Firms Signal Fourth-Quarter Uncertainty (Oct 20)
- Schlumberger's Latest Asset Deal Raises Fresh Concerns Ahead Of 3Q (Oct 19)
- Offshore Start-Up Borr Drilling Aims To Expand Fleet, Keep Costs Low (Aug 30)
Company: Invensys more info
- EYESIM: The Future of Training is Virtual Reality (Nov 21)
- Invensys to Optimize XTO's Operations (Apr 21)
- Saipem Taps IPS for Automation, Safety Equipment on Gimboa FPSO (Nov 18)