Murphy Oil Increases Acreage Position Offshore Malaysia

Murphy Oil has been granted an extension in the exploration term of a portion of Block K and an award of a new deepwater Block P. Murphy will have a 60% interest in both blocks. The remaining interest will be held by PETRONAS Carigali. The Block K extension and the new Block P have been created from part of the acreage originally awarded to Murphy and partner PETRONAS Carigali in 1999 and known as Block K which had come to the end of its seven year exploration period. All oil fields discovered during the first exploration term will remain at the original Block K working interest.

"We are very pleased to continue our pioneering position offshore deepwater Sabah and to be granted this acreage along with our longstanding partner Carigali," said Claiborne P. Deming, Murphy Oil Corporation's President and Chief Executive Officer. "The extension of part of Block K centers around our Kikeh complex, including all our other oil discoveries, allowing us to continue our active program in exploring, appraising and developing this important area," he added. "Block P lies on trend 110 km to the northeast and is another area we have been targeting for existing, as well as new plays. We are excited about these new opportunities and continuing our long term commitment to Malaysia," he explained.

Murphy as Operator has a 60% working interest in Blocks K and P. PETRONAS Carigali, a wholly owned exploration and production arm of PETRONAS, holds the remaining 40%. Blocks K and P comprise approximately 4111 and 4246 sq km, respectively, and lie in water depths of 3,000 to 9,000 feet. The Block K extension is granted for 5 years and Block P carries a 7 year exploration term.

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit

Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles

From the Career Center
Jobs that may interest you
Technical Coordinator
Expertise: Client Representative|Process Management|Technical Writing
Location: Houston, TX
Executive Assistant
Expertise: Executive|Secretarial or Administrative
Location: United States
Regional Manager - Saybolt
Expertise: Executive|Operations Management
Location: Linden, NJ
search for more jobs

Brent Crude Oil : $51.78/BBL 0.77%
Light Crude Oil : $50.85/BBL 0.83%
Natural Gas : $2.99/MMBtu 4.77%
Updated in last 24 hours