Murphy Oil Increases Acreage Position Offshore Malaysia
Murphy Oil has been granted an extension in the exploration term of a portion of Block K and an award of a new deepwater Block P. Murphy will have a 60% interest in both blocks. The remaining interest will be held by PETRONAS Carigali. The Block K extension and the new Block P have been created from part of the acreage originally awarded to Murphy and partner PETRONAS Carigali in 1999 and known as Block K which had come to the end of its seven year exploration period. All oil fields discovered during the first exploration term will remain at the original Block K working interest.
"We are very pleased to continue our pioneering position offshore deepwater Sabah and to be granted this acreage along with our longstanding partner Carigali," said Claiborne P. Deming, Murphy Oil Corporation's President and Chief Executive Officer. "The extension of part of Block K centers around our Kikeh complex, including all our other oil discoveries, allowing us to continue our active program in exploring, appraising and developing this important area," he added. "Block P lies on trend 110 km to the northeast and is another area we have been targeting for existing, as well as new plays. We are excited about these new opportunities and continuing our long term commitment to Malaysia," he explained.
Murphy as Operator has a 60% working interest in Blocks K and P.
PETRONAS Carigali, a wholly owned exploration and production arm of
PETRONAS, holds the remaining 40%. Blocks K and P comprise
approximately 4111 and 4246 sq km, respectively, and lie in water
depths of 3,000 to 9,000 feet. The Block K extension is granted for 5
years and Block P carries a 7 year exploration term.
Operates 9 Offshore Rigs
- Exec: Petronas' Canadian Unit To Look At Other LNG Opportunities (Oct 11)
- Adviser: Malaysia's Petronas Puts Some Canadian Assets Up For Sale (Oct 04)
- Petronas Chem Sells Half Of Polymers Business To Saudi Aramco For $900MM (Oct 02)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)