Repsol YPF, Enarsa Sign Offshore Exploration Accords
Spanish oil major Repsol YPF has signed two agreements with Argentina's state energy firm Enarsa and other international partners to explore for hydrocarbons in offshore Argentina, Repsol YPF said in a statement.
The first agreement with Enarsa is to investigate alternatives for partnering in the exploration and development of hydrocarbons in Argentina's continental shelf, the statement said.
The agreement is for 10 years and relates to all offshore areas on the continental shelf from the border with Uruguay to the Falkland Islands, the San Jorge Gulf and the Austral basin.
Repsol YPF and Enarsa agreed to create working groups, invest in studies of the areas, exploration and, in the case of successful discoveries, production development activities.
Repsol YPF expects to begin drilling in the Austral basin this year based on 3D seismic data obtained in 2004.
The company will then start drilling in the Malvinas basin in 2008 based on 3D seismic data completed in early 2005, the statement said.
COLORADO MARINA BASIN
Under the second agreement, Repsol YPF and Enarsa in partnership with Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras and Uruguay's state oil firm Ancap will form a consortium to explore for hydrocarbons in three blocks in the Colorado Marina basin, the statement said.
Repsol YPF will act as operator with a 35% share. Enarsa will also have 35%, Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) will have 25%, and Ancap's Argentine subsidiary Petrouruguay will have 5%.
Repsol YPF, Petrobras and Ancap will invest US$40mn-100mn in exploration of the area. If commercially viable reserves are discovered, investment in joint development and production could reach over US$2bn due to the high-risk nature of deepwater drilling.
Repsol YPF will begin registering and processing 1,000 sq km of 3D seismic this year and plans to drill its first well in 2008.
Repsol YPF invested US$68mn in Argentine offshore exploration from 1999-2005 and plans to invest US$207mn from 2006-2009, the statement said.
About Business News Americas: Business News Americas is a multilingual news and business information service that covers the most important original stories in 11 different business sectors throughout Latin America everyday. Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
- CEO: Brazil's Petrobras Could Bid On More Blocks In Pre-Salt Auction (Oct 24)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ENARSA more info
- Argentina Suspends Auction for Offshore Blocks (Aug 09)
- Argentina Could Know Its Oil, Gas Output Potential by 2011 (Dec 02)
- ENARSA, Sipetrol Argentina YPF & Enap Begin Drilling in the Argentine Sea (Sep 23)
Company: Ancap more info
- Uruguay Says To Tender 17 Offshore Blocks For Exploration (Apr 25)
- Japan's MOL Agrees Deal to Provide FSRU to Uruguay's Gas Sayago (May 12)
- MOL, Gas Sayago to Continue with Development of the Uruguay FSRU Project (Oct 06)