PPL Shipyard to Build New Jackup for Aban Loyd Chiles
PPL Shipyard, a subsidiary of SembCorp Marine has secured a contract with Aban Singapore Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Aban Loyd Chiles Offshore Ltd of India for the construction of a Baker Marine Pacific Class 375 Deep Drilling Offshore jackup for US $175 million.
Construction of the jackup rig is expected to commence in the first quarter of 2006 with delivery scheduled in mid-2008.
The Baker Marine Pacific Class 375 Design is a proprietary ownership of Baker Marine Pte Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of PPL Shipyard. The jackup rig will be customized to meet owner's requirements for operations in the Indian Ocean. It will be equipped with a drilling package that will enable it to drill high pressure and high temperature wells at 30,000 feet while operating in 375 feet of water. It has accommodation for 120 men.
Mr. T. K. Ong, Managing Director of PPL Shipyard said "We are pleased that Aban Singapore Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Aban Loyd Chiles Offshore has chosen to place an order with PPL Shipyard. This is the first jackup rig on order in 2006 and the ninth jackup rig to be built based on the BMC Pacific 375 Design in PPL Shipyard."
"With the robust offshore oil and gas market and the high utilization and charter rates for jackup rigs, we can expect more rigs to be ordered."
PPL Shipyard is a rig-building yard with proven track record in the building and servicing of jackup and semisubmersible rigs. To-date PPL Shipyard has built 26 jackup rigs and 4 semisubmersibles.
Aban Singapore Pte Ltd is a subsidiary of Aban Loyd Chiles Offshore Ltd, a company listed on the Mumbai Stock Exchange Ltd, India. Incorporated in 1986, the company is the largest offshore oil field service provider in India's private sector. It has a market capitalization of US $500 million. Currently, the company owns 8 rigs, one drill ship and one floating production unit, all on long-term contracts.
Barring unforeseen circumstances, SembCorp Marine expects a positive contribution to its earnings from the contract. However, this contract is not expected to have a material impact on the net tangible assets and earnings per share of SembCorp Marine for the year ending December 31, 2006.
- Rig Builder Sembcorp Marine 2Q Net Profit Falls 51% (Jul 27)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Brazilian Government Plans to Open Talks with Keppel, Sembcorp Marine (Sep 05)
Company: PPL Shipyard more info
- Sembcorp Marine Acquires Remaining 15% Stake in PPL Shipyard for $115M (Aug 24)
- Perisai Petroleum Defers Delivery of Perisai Pacific 102 to End October (Jun 13)
- PPL Shipyard Serves Termination Notice on MPD Over Jackup Construction Spat (Dec 02)
Company: Aban Offshore more info
Manages 17 Offshore Rigs
- Aban Offshore Bags $87M Contract to Provide Aban Abraham Drillship to ONGC (Jun 28)
- Aban Offshore Inks Deal to Provide Aban II to ONGC for $50M (Oct 27)
- Aban Offshore Clinches $182.7M Deals to Supply 2 Jackups to ONGC (Oct 13)