Repsol YPF Signs Contract for Block 109
Peru's hydrocarbons promotion agency Perupetro has signed a contract with Spanish oil company Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP) for block 109 between Loreto and San Martín departments, Perupetro said in a statement on Friday.
Repsol YPF will have seven years to explore the 899,755 hectare block with a possible three-year extension. If exploration is successful, oil production will be for 30 years and natural gas production for 40 years, the statement said.
Repsol YPF is required to invest at least US$40mn in the block, and if results are favorable investment in development of the field could reach US$500mn, Perupetro said.
The exploration stage includes a geological study, shooting and interpreting 300km of 2D seismic and drilling three exploration wells.
The contract is the ninth to be signed this month, bringing the total number signed by Perupetro this year up to 15 from six in 2004.
A contract for block 76 with US company Hunt is pending approval by President Alejandro Toledo, but will probably not be finalized this year, a spokesperson previously told BNamericas.
Perupetro officials were not immediately available to comment.
About Business News Americas: Business News Americas is a multilingual news and business information service that covers the most important original stories in 11 different business sectors throughout Latin America everyday. Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports.
Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Perupetro more info
- Peru Says Will Cut Royalties In Current Oil Contracts By July (Feb 03)
- Peru To Cut Oil, Gas Royalties To 5% To Counter Price Slump (Nov 11)
- Government: Peru's Biggest Oil Block Fails to Receive Any Bids (Aug 05)