Faroese Petroleum Authority Approves Drilling Program on License 006
Mr. Bjarni Djurholm, the Minister of Trade and Industry, has signed an agreement with the license holders of License 006 with Statoil as operator that facilitates the drilling of a sub-basalt exploration well on the Brugdan prospect.
The agreement is a result of negotiations between the licensees of Licenses 001 and 003 and the Faroese Petroleum Administration whereby the new commitment to drill on License 006 is undertaken in lieu of the existing well commitments of Licenses 001 and 003.
After the outcome of the Longan well drilled on License 003 and the Marjun well on License 001 both in 2001, the companies have concluded that the prospectivity of these Licenses has been reduced and that the remaining commitments would be better utilized elsewhere within the Faroese License area. Although hydrocarbons were discovered in the Marjun well the commerciality is considered not to be sufficient based on available knowledge.
Final interest in License 006 will be Statoil 27.15%, DONG 21.91%, Anadarko 13.00%, Enterprise Oil (Shell) 12.47%, Amerada Hess 11.09%, BG Group 10.31%, Faroe Petroleum 4.04% and Atlantic Petroleum 0.03%.
The Petroleum Administration is pleased that an agreement has been reached to drill this important exploration well. The well will test a large anticlinal structure at a sub-basalt level that will provide crucial geological information for the benefit of future exploration and which in a success case can hold significant amounts of hydrocarbons.
The License 006 Group has contracted the Stena Don semisubmersible rig, currently on long term contract with Statoil in Norway, to drill the well in the summer of 2006.
Bjarni Djurholm, Minister of Trade and Industry, is delighted that agreement now has been reached on the second sub-basalt well and that these important wells will be drilled within the next two years. The Minister says that "these undertakings provide for continued exploration activity and fit well with our overall strategy initiated with the second licensing round which is to provide for more exploration acreage, attracting new companies and to obtain synergy effects with developments west of Shetland."
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- Shell, Varo End Talks on Germany Refinery Stake Sale (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil Takes First Bite Of Solar Market With Brazilian Joint Venture (Oct 04)
- Statoil Charters Last of Largest Oil Tankers to Hold Crude for Asia Buyers (Sep 28)
- Statoil And Partners Plan Output Capacity Expansion At Troll Gas Field (Sep 26)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
- Anadarko To Spend $2.5B On Massive Share Buyback (Sep 20)
- Harvey Could Become First Hurricane to Strike Texas Since 2008 (Aug 23)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess: World Needs New Offshore Oil Investments to Avoid Shortages (Sep 28)
- Hess Slashes 2017 Capital Budget After Quarterly Loss (Jul 26)
- Suriname Signs Offshore Oil Deals with ﻿Exxon, Hess and Statoil (Jul 14)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Faroe: Bone Exploration Well in Barents Sea Spud (Jan 12)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)
Company: Faroese Petroleum Administration more info
- StatoilHydro Awarded Operatorship for Largest-Ever Offshore Faroese License (Dec 08)
- Faroe Petroleum Lands 2 New Offshore Faroese Licenses (Dec 08)
- Faroes Signs Interim Agreement for Northern Continental Shelf Boundaries (Sep 26)
Company: Atlantic Petroleum more info
- Atlantic Petroleum to Sell Orlando Stake (Jun 06)
- Debate over Langlitinden Discovery's Commercial Potential (Feb 21)
- Hydrocarbon Shows in Langlitinden Well in Barents Sea (Feb 10)