Husky Energy Ships First Oil from White Rose Oil Field

White Rose Field and Canaport Terminal
(Click to Enlarge)
Husky Energy reports that the first shipment of crude oil from the White Rose field, which commenced production on November 12, 2005, is going to be delivered to Irving Oil's Canaport Terminal near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.

The cargo of approximately 600,000 barrels of crude is being transported by the Jasmine Knutsen shuttle tanker, which will reach the offshore terminal following a three-day sail from the White Rose field, 350 kilometers east of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The crude will be processed at Irving's Saint John refinery for distribution through its regional retail network.

"The delivery of the first cargo of crude oil to the Canadian market demonstrates the significant economic benefit of the White Rose project to Canada," said Mr. John C.S. Lau, President & Chief Executive Officer, Husky Energy Inc. "The production and delivery of the first shipment of crude oil on schedule marks another execution milestone of the White Rose project team."

Refiners in Canada and the United States have expressed a high level of interest in processing White Rose oil. The White Rose crude, which has a low sulphur content of 0.31 Wt percent and is 31 degrees API, is an ideal feedstock for refineries in Ontario and Quebec, the east coast of Canada and the United States. In accordance with pre-arranged schedules, the second and third shipments of White Rose crude are in place for delivery to the U.S. Gulf Coast and Irving Oil, respectively.

The White Rose field is currently producing 75,000 barrels per day. It is expected to reach peak production of 100,000 barrels per day in the first half of 2006. Oil from the field flows through a subsea production system to the SeaRose FPSO (floating production, storage and offloading vessel). The SeaRose FPSO has a 940,000- barrel storage capacity, equivalent to about 10 days at peak production.

Husky has a time charter on two shuttle tankers, the Heather Knutsen and the Jasmine Knutsen, which were purpose-built to transport White Rose crude direct from the SeaRose FPSO to world markets. The Samsungdesigned double-hulled tankers each have a crude oil capacity of one million barrels. It is anticipated that, at peak production, the tankers will offload oil from the SeaRose FPSO every eight to 10 days.

The White Rose project is the third offshore oil development in the Jeanne d'Arc Basin. During the construction period, the White Rose project provided approximately 11 million person-hours of direct employment in Newfoundland and Labrador and almost one million person-hours of employment in the rest of Canada. Over the life of the project, White Rose is expected to generate approximately 375 long-term, high-quality jobs and 1,000 indirect jobs.

Husky Energy owns 72.5 percent of the White Rose project and is the operator. Petro-Canada holds the remaining 27.5 percent interest. Husky's share of proven and probable reserves for the field is estimated at 165 million barrels.


Our Privacy Pledge

Most Popular Articles
Related Articles

Brent Crude Oil : $52.67/BBL 1.91%
Light Crude Oil : $51.6/BBL 2.60%
Natural Gas : $3.17/MMBtu 2.76%
Updated in last 24 hours