McDermott Deploys AVEVA's VNET Collaboration Portal for Dubai Offshore Ops
AVEVA has secured a contract to provide J. Ray McDermott, the international provider of solutions for offshore field development, with a collaboration portal that provides easy access to key engineering data.
Built on AVEVA's VANTAGE® NET (VNET) architecture, the portal will be used by more than 300 J. Ray McDermott personnel to support its work on projects in the Middle East.
For the first time, project engineers will have web-based access to the 3D design models, 2D design deliverables and all the associated engineering documents that are core to the successful execution of the project. Powerful search functionality in the system allows users to quickly navigate linked documents, with key items clearly highlighted. In addition, AVEVA will also support the handover phase of the project by providing comprehensive tag-linked data.
The project was initiated after a requirement was identified within one of its recent Middle East contracts to improve internal access to the 3D design model and associated deliverables. Benefits of the installation will include:
* the satisfaction of long-term client requirements via a platform that complies with all data handover specifications; * improvements in project information access because only a single platform is necessary for viewing and linking project data; * reduction in errors through data consolidation during VNET import to identify inconsistencies; and * improvements in project workflow resulting from a commenting and work- packaging platform.
"The tangible benefits of VNET have allowed our staff to react immediately to planned status changes, allowing them to plan their work earlier in the project lifecycle," said Kevin Brophy, Manager, Piping and Layout, J. Ray McDermott, Dubai. "VNET has also allowed for easier and faster collaboration across both client and other J. Ray intranet sites, thus fulfilling some of the demands inherent with fast track projects. We are already working with AVEVA to increase the number of licenses available on the system to satisfy user demands, as well as augmenting it for use on additional upcoming projects here in Jebel Ali through the addition of gateways to PDS and SmartPlant P&ID as well as additional InTools and PIMS information."
Richard Longdon, CEO of AVEVA, commented: "This project, which was completed in just three weeks, was an expansion of our existing and established relationship with JRM in Houston, and we are very happy to see proof yet again that AVEVA's customers are confident in our ability to deliver. Further, it highlights our continuing commitment to and success in the marine industry following our acquisition of Tribon last year."
VNET is a multilingual information platform that uses a versatile web portal system to integrate information from any source application. It reconciles against item tag numbers or other item identification, to present a coherent information model of the plant, ship or project, using models and templates that are accepted throughout the world. VNET presents information from its source, without needing the source application -- therefore bringing
reliable, hardworking information to everyone.
- J. Ray McDermott Says Hello to New CFO (May 12)
- J. Ray McDermott Secures Fabrication Contract on Gorgon Project (May 06)
- J. Ray Reels in Second Subsea Gig in Vietnam (Apr 06)
Company: AVEVA more info
- Software Firm AVEVA Sees Increased Uncertainly in Oil & Gas Market (Jan 26)
- AVEVA Boosts Presence in Middle East, Opens New Office in Saudi Arabia (Jan 15)
- AVEVA Opens 2nd R&D Center in Hyderabad, Plans to Hire More Technologists (Apr 28)