FMC Awarded Devils Tower and Medusa Work



FMC Technologies, Inc. announced that its FMC Energy Systems business has been chosen by Mentor Subsea, a J. Ray McDermott company, to provide the wellhead trees and associated services for the Dominion-operated Devils Tower Spar and Murphy Oil-operated Medusa Spar projects in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Devils Tower Spar floating production system is expected to be located on Mississippi Canyon Block 773, in water depth of 5,610 feet, which would make it the world's deepest dry tree platform. The Devil's Tower Spar is planned to be capable of handling 60,000 barrels of crude oil per day.

The Medusa Spar is expected to be located on Mississippi Canyon Block 582, in water depth of 2,223 feet. Upon completion, the Medusa Spar is planned to be capable of handling 40,000 barrels of crude oil and 110 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.

The Devils Tower project operator, Dominion Exploration & Production, Inc., a subsidiary of Dominion, chose J. Ray McDermott as the Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Installation (EPCI) provider for the Devils Tower Spar in June 2001. Dominion has a 75 percent working interest in the Devils Tower field, and Pioneer Natural Resources Company owns the remaining 25 percent. Williams will own the spar and pipeline.

The Medusa project operator, Murphy Oil Corporation, chose J. Ray McDermott as the EPCI provider for the Medusa Spar in March 2001. Murphy has a 60 percent working interest in the Medusa project, located in Mississippi Canyon Blocks 538 and 582. The other interest holders are Agip Petroleum Co., Inc. with 25 percent and Callon Petroleum Company with 15 percent.

The surface wellhead and tree systems for the Devils Tower Spar and Medusa Spar are expected to be supplied from FMC Energy Systems' facilities in Houston. Both systems are scheduled for delivery in the third quarter of 2002. The Medusa Spar is scheduled to be completed and production is expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2002. The Devils Tower Spar is scheduled to be completed and production is expected to commence in mid-2003.

"We are pleased that Mentor Subsea, with help from Dominion and Murphy, has chosen FMC Energy Systems to supply the surface wellhead solution for the Devils Tower Spar and Medusa Spar," said Peter D. Kinnear, Vice President - FMC Energy Systems. "This demonstrates our commitment to work with customers to find solutions that balance innovative technology, cost and operational performance."